Friday, May 29, 2015

An Interview With Myself


 Today is my birthday so I decided to do something a bit different here. I am going to interview myself. Have you ever tried it? I haven't so I'm wondering what will come of this.

Q:  Nancy, are birthdays important to you?
A:  Very much so. My mother always made sure the day was special for me and my siblings. We got to select the dinner menu and looked forward to the gifts received after we ate. It was hard waiting all day to open the gifts. They weren't expensive or amazing gifts, but they meant a lot to me and to my brothers when it was their turn. For one day a year, I was the center of attention and I enjoyed it. As a result, I've always looked forward to my birthday.

Q: Do you consider yourself to have lived a good life?
A: Oh yes, I have had a wonderful life including a family who loved me and raised me with a set of values that have served me to this day. I've had a strong and loving marriage, raised two beautiful children and am grandmother to four amazing kids. Besides that, I have a strong support group of friends. The icing on the cake of life has been my writing journey these past 23 years.

Q: If you had one thing to do differently in your life, what would it be?
A. I would have started writing many, many years earlier. The desire was there but I let life get in the way.

Q:  Has your writing journey been satisfactory?
A:  I have never had a book published. I have not been published in high-paying magazines. Even so, my writing journey has been most satisfactory. I've been published in many anthologies, magazines, newspapers, ezines and newsletters. I've won in several contests and have received awards for some of my stories. I've started and maintained a blog to help other writers for six years. So, yes, I am very satisfied.

Q: What benefits have you received in your writing life?
A:  One of the big benefits is the wonderful writers I have met and consider friends. Another is the opportunity to gather at conferences with other writers--that common bond we have is a strong one. Another is knowing that I've touched the lives of others through my writing in some way.

Q:  What more do you want to accomplish in your writing journey?
A:  I would like to publish an ebook. I would like to write a memoir book. I want to remain a part of my online writing group as they are the best help and inspiration ever. I hope to continue the blog.

Q: How long do you plan to continue writing?
A: As long as my mind holds up, I will write. My passion for doing so has never flagged a bit. I hope it will always be so. Writers do not reach a certain age and announce that they will write no more. To stop writing, for me, would be to stop living.

Q: How will you celebrate your birthday?
A: My husband is taking me to a favorite fine dining restaurant tonight. I'm looking forward to that.



6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift to yourself! Happy Belated Birthday! I am just beginning my writing and you are a wonderful inspiration for me. You've reinforced the saying "it's the journey, not the destination" for me. Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons I continue with this blog is to encourage other writers but especiallyy the newbies. The journey can be long and full of bumps but the desitnations is well worth it.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I must have missed your birthday as I was so preoccupied with the weekend's activities. I did not realize we celebrated so near the same time! Happy (belated) birthday to you. I plan to "borrow" your interview inspiration for my own birthday entry! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're just two days apart. :) You're more than welcometo use the interview technique. It just popped into my mind when I was contemplating what to write that day. Heaven Sent!

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday, Nancy! What a terrific idea to interview yourself for your birthday. I'm already thinking of questions I'd want to ask myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to admit it was kind of fun. Do give it a try!

      Delete

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...