Friday, August 23, 2024

Writers-Give Your Best

 


"....what you give comes back to you." That's the last part of today's poster quote. Ponder on that for a bit. Then ask yourself some questions. 

A.  Do I write more than one draft? 

B.  Do I check facts and figures carefully, or make a good guess?

C.  When I edit and revise, do I replace many passive verbs with active ones?

D.  Do I put emotions into my writing, or skim the surface?

E.  Do I hurry through a writing project?

F.  Do I submit only my best work to an editor? 

G.  Do I use sensory details to help the reader experience more?

If you are 'giving your all, then you should have answered Yes to all but Letter E. That should be a resounding NO. Hurrying through any writing project is a recipe for disaster. An editor is going to pick your submission apart if you dash off a story and send it. The same is you answered No to any of the other questions above. 

Do your best. Has anyone ever said that to you? We shouldn't do our best on only a few writing projects. Instead, it should be the norm for every one of your writing projects. Put your heart and soul into what you write, and success will come more easily. Will this mean you'll have an acceptance for every submission? Probably not, but the odds that you do will certainly go up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers--Don't Stop Writing

  Today's quote is pretty simple. Only seven words. Even so, it's good advice. "You fail only if you stop writing."  There...