Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day Memories

 


Today is Memorial Day 2023, and it brings back memories from grade school days. I started kindergarten in 1944, while WWII was still raging in Europe and the Asian theater. In those days, Memorial Day was always May 30th, and schools and businesses were closed. 

I didn't know much about the war at that age, because the news was not blaring from the tv 24/7. Occasional news reports came on the radio and there were newspapers, which my parents read. They never shared the bad news that they found in The Chiciago Tribune. Nor would I have understood it at that stage of my life. Our family went to movies regularly, and I remember watching a newsreel with the latest war news shown between the two films the theater was playing. All I knew then was that bad things were happening. 

I have a very clear memory of celebrating Memorial Day with my classmates at Lincoln School every year from the first through the sixth grade. There was a large playground across the street from the school with all kinds of equipment that appealed to grade school kids. High Flyers, a merry-go-round, trapezes, rings, swings, and teeter-totters. In one corner of the playground, a monument had been erected sometime during the war years to honor those in the military who had died fighting for our ocuntry. Their names were etched into a plaque on the stone, young men who had been graduates of our school. 

On the day before the holiday, every class elected a Flag Bearer and a Flower Girl. Kids brought flowers from home gardens, and each teacher made up a large bouquet. These two children led us from the school to the playground where all the classes gathered to pay tribute to these fallen soldiers and sailors. There was a literal parade of the classes starting with Grade 1 on up to the 6th grade class. In each one, a boy proudly carried a large flag, and a girl held the bouquet of flowers in her arms as tenderly as if she carried an infant. 

The flowers were laid at the base of the monument, and we all stood solemnly as our principal, who had a deep booming voice, conducted a short program of remembrance. He impressed us with his message of what these fallen men had given for their country and the fact that we should pay honor to them, every day, not just on Memorial Day. We said the Pledge of Allegiance and sang a patriotic song.

Each year, I understood more of why we celebrated and honored those who had died on Memorial Day. To this day, I think of our class marching solemnly to Carroll Playground. We were taught patriotism which has lasted for me to this very day. 

Another memory of those days is that, because my birthday was the day before Memorial Day, I always was elected Flower Girl. I walked proudly behind my teacher and next to the Flag Bearer. Strangely, no one complained that "Nancy always gets to be the Flower Girl.' as you might expect. Somehow, it became part of the tradition. 

I am most grateful that my shcool taught me to love my country and honor those who fought for our freedom. 

If you have specific memories of this holiday, write about them and add to your Family Stories Book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...