Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Write to Preserve Memories

 


Well-known author, Isabel Allende, says 'Write what should not be forgotten.' Six words that give sound advice. 

How many times have you seen something or been somewhere that especially impressed you and thought 'I need to write about this.' and then never followed up later? It's a common mistake many writers make. Thinking about writing and actually doing it can be two different things. 

Have you ever been a witness to a conversation that made you stop and listen? Eavesdropping? It's not such a bad thing when writers do it. It's justifiable. (Picture me winking here!) That conversation might be something you can use in a story you're writing. You need to jot it down somewhere in a hurry. We think we'll remember, but when we try later, we may only retrieve bits and pieces. 

We also need to write those family stories that should not be forgotten. We should preserve them for future generations of our family. It's a known fact that most very young people are not interested in family history or lore, but as they get older, their interest increases. Sometimes, they wait until the older members are gone, and it's too late to ask questions. If those stories and history have been written, these people have a place to learn more about their family. 

Years ago, baby books were quite popular. I'm not sure if mothers today use them or not. When my children were infants, I recorded many 'firsts' in each one's baby book. Also birthday parties and who attended. Or a first trip and how it went. The first tooth that appeared, illnesses, and more. I have the baby book my mother had for me. Reading it as an adult was such a pleasure, and it gave me a good idea of what my mother was like as a young woman of 21. It also showed me how much I was loved by my parents and extended family. Baby Books can also be a medical history if the parents add the illnesses the child has had.

In the same manner, wedding remembrance books are helpful. My daughter-in-law had a wedding planner book made for me. I still have it. My son and his wife had their wedding videoed, back in 1992. When their two little girls were very young, one of the favorite activities was to watch Mommy and Daddy's wedding video. They were gaining family history. I don't know if their mother or father wrote about the wedding, but I did. 

There are so many milestones that we can and should write about throughout our life. It gives a two-fold benefit. We can relive the occasion and also preserve it for future generations. 

It's human nature for us to think about writing those things that should not be forgotten but somehow never get around to doing it. Our intentions are good, but life gets in the way. The longer the time after the event, the less inspired we are to write about it. 

It's not only writers who should write about those things that should not be forgotten. All of us can do this. Do it and your family will be appreciative, more so as time goes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...