Thursday, January 5, 2023

Looking For a Writing Critique Group?

 


We all need a helping hand now and then. Writers can reach out to other writers for some support or help in critiquing what they have written. 

I joined an online critique group many years ago when I was a newbie writer. There were no real requiremennts in the group. The leader was a wise and knowledgable and no-nonsense woman. I learned a great deal about the craft of writing. One day, Kate literally disappeared, never to be found again. All the members were beyond sad. Devastated might be the right word. One of the members decided to start a new group, and she invited a few of us, whom she thought would be right for her group, to join.  She named it Writers and Critters, the latter being short for critique. 

Wac, as it was known, became an International Women's Writing group, running 25-30 writers. A few members left for various reasons, and others came on board. The numbers in groups like this vary all the time. We've had a few members who left because of happenings in their lives but came back a year or so later. A few left after publishing a novel and spent more time marketing. 

At one point, we began discussing (onlilne) an in-person conference. With a lot of discussion and a great deal of planning, our first in-person conference was born. We met from various places at a lovely state park in Virginia, just outside Washington, DC. One of the greatest parts of that conference was hearing our writng friends actual voice, instead of readiong everything they said online. The conference was so successful that there were a few more planned and enjoyed. In place of that, we now have a zoom meeting every few months.

The group is made up of various kinds of writers--poets, fiction, essayists, memoir, and nonfiction articles. The numbers vary as new members arrive and some old ones move on. 

Right now, we have several openings for new members. Let me be clear:  This is NOT a group for newbie writers. I would consider the members to be in the Intermediate category. We have had members whose novels have been published, many of the poets have been published, as have those who write creative nonfiction. Some are still waiting to be published. Publication is not a requirement for membership. What is required?    

A. A willingness to help other wirters as well as seek help for your own writng

B. If you submit something, you are expected to critique two pieces

C. You are expected to give fair and honest critiques, but not harsh ones.

D. Members accept that a critique is meant to help them polish their writing, never to hurt.

If you are interested, you can apply for membership by sending me your email address, which I will send on to the moderator, Joyce Finn. She will contact you and ask for a writing sample and a brief history of your writing career. She will forward same to the membership, and they will vote on accepting you as a new member. It's not as harsh or scary as it sounds. 

Benefits of my membership in wac: 

I learned a great deal about wiritng and critiquing by reading the critiques others made.

I have made friends with writers from all over the USA, Canada, and other parts of the world. (our international members are only a few at this time)

My writing improved.

I received help in polishing my writing so that it was ready for submission for publication.

I had writing friends to answer any questions I might have.

There is no cost involved, only my time.

Interested in applying for membership? For those reading this post via my blog, send me your email address in the Comments section below. It will come privately to me, and I will not publish it, just send it to Joyce Finn, who will contact you.

For those reading on a facebook page, PM me your address at NancyJulienKopp on Messenger. I will forward it to Joyce, and it will be private. 

Questions? Contact me the same way as mentioned in the two paragraphs above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...