Friday, January 13, 2023

Encourage Other Writers

 


One of the reasons we join writing critique groups and writing organizations is to receive inspiration and encouragement from other writers. In the same manner, we serve to give the same to them. 

When I attend my state writing organization's annual convention, I come home inspired to write, I am also encouraged by the many success stories I hear from those in attendance and the speakers. 

When I interact with the women in my online critique group, I am encouraged by the positive comments they give my submissions when they critique my work. Yes, they point out the places that need more work, and I appreciate that, too. But the fact that they let me know the places they liked in my sub encourages me to keep working on the piece and to keep writing. 

Should you lie when a fellow writer asks you about a story he/she has written and tell them it's quite nice if it really isn't? Is it encouraging to them to hear you trying to make them feel good? Maybe for the moment, but it doesn't help if they submit what you said was a good story only to find rejection after rejection when they submit to a publication.

Instead, point out the things you liked, but please let them know what areas need more work. You can do so in a nice way. Encourage them to keep working on the story. 

If you've been on a writing journey for any length of time, you should have learned to take some constrctive criticism about your writing. If you haven't, you could be in for a world of hurt when others critique your work. Remember this--they are not criticizing you, the person. They are pointing our places where you need to revise or edit something you've written. The aim is to help you attain publication.

Use caution in the way you critique someone's writing. Don't say something like: This part is a mess. You need to completely redo these last several paragraphs. Instead, use words that encourage, such as: I think this would work better if you _____ and then ________. The latter method can be encouraging to the writer whereas the first ones will do nothing but tear them down, make them feel terrible. 

We all respond to encouragement from other writers, and we should all do what we can to enourage other writers. No one understands a writer better than another writer. Help one another.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...