Thursday, December 8, 2022

When To Write Holiday Stories

A Beloved Christmas Story

Today's photo is a cover of one of the most beloved Christmas stories of all times. The story, written by Charles Dickens, has been read by millions over the years, made into stage plays, films, and a large number of print editions. Just recently, a new film has come out based on the old story but with a new, modern twist. We would probably be surprised if we knew the number of book covers that have been designed over the years for Dickens' famous tale.

There are other Christmas stories that have lasted through the years. One that comes to mind is "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry. "The Elves and the Shoemaker" has entertained myriad numbers of children. The narrative poem, "The Night Before Christmas," is also one of the most loved. Who can forget "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer?" There are many others, as well. 

The poem, "The Bells," was written by Henry Wadworth Longfellow on Christmas Day in 1863, in the midst of the Civil War. His poignant poem was then set to music and is the beloved hymn, "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day."

Longfellow wrote his poem on Christmas Day, when his heart was heavy, but Christmas was the day to be celebrated. He didn't wait and write his poem the following July. If he had, his emotions might not have been quite at the same pitch. I'm guessing that the poem might not have been quite as good.

I think that most Christmas stories work best when you write them during the Christmas season. It's when you are feeling the celebration the most. Write a Christmas story in April, and I'm not sure it would be as good. Maybe it would if you played Christmas music to set the mood. 

It's the same with other holidays. An Easter story is best written during the Easter season when spring is bursting forth in all its glory. Can you write an Easter story in November? Of course you can, but I am definitely of the opinion that it works better when you're in the Easter celebration.

That works for Halloween stories, too. Or Hanukkah. Any holiday that you think about writing a story that revolves around the traditions and decorations, the foods, the preparation. the meaning and more. 

I once had an idea for a Christmas story for children at this same busy time of year. I thought about it many days, but my busy schedule kept me from writing even a first draft. Or, I let it keep me from writing. The writing was up to me, but I chose to put it off. Months later, I thought about the story again, and I sat down to work on the first draft. It didn't work. The feelings I had when Christmas was all around me had slipped away as the months went by. Oh sure, the bones of the story were still in my head, but the heart of it had disappeared. 

The point I'm making today is that, if you want to write a holiday story, do it when you're in the midst of that holiday. I think you will write better and stronger and with more emotion than if you worked on the story in an off season. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...