Monday, November 7, 2022

Assessing Your Writing World


 Today's poster quote gives some good advice. I applied it to my writing life, and you can, too.

Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what can be. 

What have I learned to accept as a writer? 

A. I have accepted the fact that I'm never going to have a novel on the Best Seller list. 

B. I've learned to look at rejections in as positive light as I can. (after I get over the original disappointment) 

C. I've learned where my strengths lie in the writing world. I originally wanted to write books for middle g rade children, but I gave up that idea when I found out that there were other places in the writing world that fit my talent better.

What have I let go?

A. I don't worry about being publishd. When it happens, it is a nice surprise.

B. I gave up the thought of writing fiction for adults.

C. I cut back on being a leader in my state writing organization for the sake of my health.

I have faith in future writing endeavors.

A. I know that I can write more stories for middle grade kids.

B. I feel confident that my blog is worhtwhile for many readers.

C. I will keep writing as long as I am mentally fit. 

How about you? Can you make three short lists about your own writing world that speak to today's quote? Give it some thought, then write your own lists. I used three for each part of the quote, but you can use as many, or as few, as you like. 

I think it is important that we take assessment of our writing life now and then. It's good to look at where you've been, where you are, and where you're going as a writer. It's not a abad idea to do this on an annual basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...