Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Readers and Book Clubs

 


Annie Dillard, credited for today's photo quote, is an essayist who writes about the natural world. She gives us a great visual image of a person who is a 'real reader.' One who must have reading material with the same need as air to breathe. 

In a group of friends recently, the conversation turned to books. One other woman and I suddenly became the only ones speaking. The other two didn't have much to offer. Two of us were the kind of readers that Ms. Dillard spoke about, while the other two were occasional readers, if at all. I don't think they felt the need to read like I do and the other woman does. 

Reading allows us to travel to other periods of history, to other lands, and into the minds of the characters in books. For me, reading is an adventure. I cannot imagine life without books or magazines or ezines online. When I finish a book, and there is not another one waiting for me, I feel a bit panicky. Time to go to the library! Or the bookstore. In recent years, I download books onto my Kindle, so there is never a time that I cannot find something to read. 

Book Clubs were born out of the love of books that men and women had for reading. Book Club members enjoy discussing what they read almost as much as the actual reading. My Book Club is small, only five members. We have lost four--one to a move and three who are no longer living. Even so, the five of us have some great discussions, a lot of laughter, and the chance to see a different perspective of other readers. We don't all come away with the same perception of the same book. 

If you aren't a member of a Book Club, start one. You know who among your friends are readers. Ther is no certain number needed. Book Clubs can be run in a very simple way or as elaborate as having the hostess prepare dinner followed by the discussion. Mine made two rules when we first organized. 1. No food (coffee allowed) 2. What was said at Book Club stayed at Book Club. 

Some libraries sponsor Book Clubs. Check yours to see if they have one, or can guide you to one in your community. 

I read a book some time ago about a woman who was dying of cancer, titled The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe. Mother and son decided to start a Book Club with the two of them being the only members. They suggested books to one another, each reading the selection for that period, then discussed it together. The books often led to other discussions about life and death and the trauma they were experiencing. The Book Club of two turned out to be a bonding of mother and son. And later, a treasured memory for the son. 

There are Book Clubs for children, too. Middle grade and high school students can all benefit from a Book Club geared to their grade level. If your child or grandchild enjoys reading, they would most likely enjoy this kind of activity. I remember the girls in my fifth and sixth grade class reading and sharing the Nancy Drew mystery books. We were not a formal Book Club, but we chatted about the books and were all very excited when we discovered a new one.

 My husband read as a boy, then stepped away from reading throughout his career. He said he read so much at work each day, that more reading in the evening or weekends did not appeal. Once he retired, he started reading again and now always has a book going. We read different kinds of books, but I like the idea that we are both reading. 

I'm a reader who has need to read. How about you? Are books a big part of your life? Books can enrich your life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...