Thursday, August 18, 2022

Special Moments in Your Writing Life

 

Have you had some special moments in your writing life? Are they wonderful, and then disappear like morning mist on a river? Or do you relive them now and then? 

I look at each publication of something I have written to be a special moment. The obstetrician who delivered my children once told me that every birth was a thrill for him, that bringing infants into the world never got old. As a writer, I can relate to that.

Do you share those special moments with others? Are you afraid they'll think you're bragging? You're not. Selling yourself is part of being a writer, and mentioning your publications is a part of building your platform. Don't ever feel that you shouldn't tell others when something good happens in your writing world.

I also consider a special moment when a story, essay, or poem you've been working on suddenly comes together just as you envisioned it in your head when you first got the idea. That doesn't always happen. What is in our head might not look the same in print. 

When I've had special recognition at my Kansas Authors Club convention, I count it among my special moments. One year, I was selcted Prose Writer of the Year. A surprise and a thrill. Another time, I received a Service Award for things I'd done for this state organization. Yet another year, I was recognized as being an Octogenarian. That one left me with mixed emotions, but even so, it was a special moment. 

How about the first time you had the thought that you'd like to be a writer and decided to pursue that idea? That's definitely a special moment. 

Those of you who have had a book published must feel it is a special moment when you hold it in your hands and know that you were responsible for all the words between the covers. If your book wins some kind of an award, that, too, has to be a special and memorable moment. 

There are many special moments in our writing life. When things aren't going as well as you hoped, take some time out and list those special moments, either in your head or write a list. Maybe the problem time will not feel quite so heavy when you mark those special moments. It also can help you believe in yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...