Monday, August 15, 2022

A Writer's Musings

 

Summer Flowers

Today's post has nothing to do with the photo, nor is it one topic. Instead, I'm writing about some things that have struck me as relevant from other blog posts I've read, and also some things I've noted in my own writing recently. Maybe some of it will trigger some thoughts for you, as well.

One of the blogs I read today was written by a woman who said she is always early or on time when she has someplace to be. But her writing world is altogether different. There she hurries to finish a piece rather than wait and revise later. It's a common failing that writers have, I believe, as we are often really pumped up about something we've written and want to hurry up and find a home for it. 

Experience shows that letting your work sit for a few days, or even longer, then read and revise will allow for a stronger piece of writing in the end. If time is short, even a few hours before you do that final edit is worthwhile. You'll see errors and places where you might rewrite or enhance a thought or strike out as it's redundant. 

Another blogger who is also a nonfiction author who writes food/travel books makes it very clear in her posts that people are of great importance in her writing. The interviews she has with various people in foreign countries serve as the base for her books. She doesn't do an interview with a Q & A. Instead, she visits with the person over a glass of wine, or a lunch, while both are relaxed and conversation comes easily. 

One other blogger writes about her childhood experiences. What she remembers and what these memories mean to her today. Our memories give us fuel for memoirs and also bring story ideas based on the things that happened to us long ago. It's all there for you to use when you dig deep into your memory bag. 

Yesterday, I worked on a draft I'd done a few weeks ago to submit to a new Chicken Soup for the Soul book. I read it over and felt pretty good about the story, with only a bit of editing. Then, I glanced over at the word count. 1286 words. Oh-oh! Chicken Soup has a max of 1200. It was time to get to work and cut those 86 words that spilled past the max, and maybe a few more. It wasn't difficult as I looked for areas where I could cut something not totally relevant. Or I might change a phrase of four words into two. A snip here, another snip there, and I whittle the story to 1192 words. 

The other day, I posted about the August WRITE-A-THON my online writing group is pursuing this month. I've written something to submit for that each day since August began, and I have read most of the other members' offerings. One of the things I noted was that we all have a different style of writing, but all wrote someting interesting. We're a group, but we're also individuals. Just as you are a writer that no other writer can duplicate in style or substance. Isn't it wonderful to be part of a group but still be yourself? 

How about you? Have you learned anything about yourself as a writer lately? Have you been impressed by another writer's blog post? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...