Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Are Writing Conventions Worthwhile?

 





The people in our photo today might be of a workshop held as part of a writer's convention. Someone with writing expertise shares his/her knowledge about a particular phase of writing. I've attended many of them, and I've also been the one to present the topic to a roomful of people interested in the writing world. I enjoy both attending and presenting.

Some writers wonder if going to a writing convention is worthwhile. They can easily talk themselves out of going. Many of the excuses are valid. Things like:  the cost, too far away, too big--won't know anyone, not the subject I'm interested in, takes time away from writing, and the list goes on. I fear it is sometimes easier to talk yourself out of going than to make the commitment to attend.

I have enjoyed our Kansas Authors Club state convention every time I have attended. I've never come home feeling like I had wasted my time. The first time I went, I didn't know a soul. The three days were divided into the Read-Arounds, business meeting of the organization, workshops, lunches and dinners, keynote speakers, a Book Room, and an Awards Ceremony. At each part of the meeting, I made a point to introduce myself to the person sitting next to me. I asked them where they were from and what kind of writing they liked to pursue. As we moved from room to room, I'd see some of those people and always got a wave or a smile. 

Our state meeting offers a choice of three workshops in a time slot. Some are repeated, while others are not. Choosing which ones to attend is not always easy. I have found that I liked seeing who was in each workshop, as it told me they had the same interest as I did. I almost always came away feeling inspired to write. I often initiated the conversation as we waited for the presenter. Many of the people there were already 'old friends.' I was the new kid on the block. When I went back the next year, I saw some familiar faces and conversations came easily.

One of the ladies in my small local spin-off of the state group was on a planning committee for the next convention. It was a time when not all writers were familiar with the internet or how to take advantage of the benefits it offered writers. She knew that I used it and asked me if I would consider leading a workshop on the topic of "How to Submit Your Writing Using the Internet"  It sounds strange now as almost 100% of writers do so now, but then, it was something new. By agreeing to lead the workshop, I became known to quite a few people. 

When I began to receive awards in some categories of our state writing contest, my name became familiar at the next conventions. I agreed to take a district office more than once. By doing so, I widened my group of Kansas Authors friends, and I felt comfortable asking for answers to questions I might have or to give my opinion when asked. 

During the pandemic, our state convention was held via zoom. It worked! The best part was being able to see recordings of some of the workshops I'd missed, and the worst part was not having that one-on-one human interaction. This year, the convention will be held in person over an October weekend. 

Several years ago, a writer I know had a dream of starting a conference for people who wrote 'small town mysteries.' Her dream grew, and I landed on the planning committee. We held the conference for a few years with people coming both locally and from other states. I learned how much work goes into planning a conference or convention, and I had fun plus learned a great deal about a genre I had never tried. 

I definitely feel like writing conventions, large or small, are worth the time and money a writer must give to attend.  It's a place to learn more about the writing craft, to make writer friends, to share your own knowledge about writing, to get inspired to write, to make connections with editors, printers, and publishers, perhaps an opportunity to display and sell your books, 

You can choose from very large writing conventions to very small conferences. Start small and work your way up to the large national ones that hone in on specific genres. So, where do you find these meetings? Use your old friend Google, or any other search engine. If you belong to a state writing organization, you'll be aware of the times and places of your annual convention. Plan ahead. My biggest piece of advice is to immerse yourself into the convention. Don't be the person who never speaks to anyone or never participates in any way. You're bound to lose a lot of the benefits that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...