Thursday, June 9, 2022

What Makes a Book Memorable?

 



The woman holding the book in today's photo could be you, me, or any one of thousands of people who enjoy reading. There are readers and also writers who are readers. 

This morning, I started thinking about a book that I'd read some time ago. The story and the characters come back to me when I'm least expecting it. Not only this particular book, but many. There are also books that I read and enjoy and never think about again. 

As I was making the bed, I thought about a book I'd read a long time ago. Something triggered my mind to go back to the main character in the book and the difficult life she'd had. The question I had was why do some books stay with us and others do not.

I credit the skillful writing of the author for offering a story that I think about now and then. The author is the one who created memorable characters and perhaps gave a sense of place that proved memorable, as well. 

Two books I read many years ago still come back to me now and then. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher was one, and A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford was the other. In more recent times, The Rent Collector by Camron Wright pops into my mind now and then. In all three, the main characters are unforgettable. There is a sense of place, and the stories are terrific. It's what makes certain books end up in the Classics list. They have lasting qualities that others do not. 

If you are a novelist or a short story writer, what can you do to write something that stays with the reader long after the final paragraph is read? You can read novels or short stories in the genre in which you write by the carloads. We learn by example. Read many reference books on creating memorable characters, writing a great story, and instilling a sense of place that makes the reader feel they are there. Attend conferences or conventions where you can hear successful writers share their expertise. 

Learn from the above suggestions, but write in your own voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...