Friday, May 20, 2022

Write About Birthdays

 


Today's photo shows a gorgeous cake to celebrate a birthday. It's almost too pretty to cut into, but whoever gets to enjoy this cake for his/her birthday surely will want to taste it. 

Your birthday is your own special day of the year. Your family and friends send greetings and wish you many more such days. Patents have stories to tell about the day you entered this world. Some are humorous, some just sweet, and others horrific. 

Stories about the days your children were born should be included in your Family Stories book. After all, they were there, but not aware, and they should learn something about that special time. There are some amazing stories about 'birth' days--babies born on the way to the hospital, on an airplane, at home unexpectedly, or in a hospital with a full delivery staff on hand. 

Some births were anticipated with great joy, some with fear, others with bitterness. For every good story about birth, there is another that feels rather sad and dark for one reason or another. They're all important.

What might you include in a piece about the birth of each child? Was the pregnancy planned or a surprise? What time of year did the birth occur? Was labor long and intense or relatively easy? Was the baby full-term or a preemie? 100% healthy or had some problems in those initial days? Physical characteristics of the newborn. Color of hair, eyes, complexion. Weight. Height. How did Dad handle the birth? Were there other family members waiting at the hospital? Was the baby the oldest, middle, or youngest child in your family? 

What memorable birthday celebrations did your children have? I have the Baby Book my mother kept for me, and there is a page in it that gives details of my first birthday--who was there, what gifts were received, my reaction, and a wonderful thought that my mother put down at the end of the page. I don't know if mothers today keep baby books, but if not, writing the stories of the birth and birthday celebrations would certainly be appreciated much later by their children. 

Write about memorable birthdays of your own to add to your Family Stories book. One of mine that stands out was the year I turned 16. My Mother had a baby boy two weeks before my birthday, and she stayed in the hospital longer than usual. I was helping at home with cooking and laundry and watching my two other younger brothers. My friend, Kay, had asked me to come spend the night at her house on a Friday. I told my Dad I'd stay home, that I could go to Kay's some other time, as we did sleepovers fairly often. Dad insisted I go. "It will do you good," he said. "You've been going to school and running the house. You deserve a break." I finally agreed, and Dad drove me to Kay's house. When I arrived, she said, "Come downstairs, I want to show you what my Dad bought." We started down the stairs, and suddenly there were shouts and laughing and "Happy Birthday, Nancy" from a big group of my friends who had the Surprise Sweet Sixteen party for me. Definitely a memorable birthday.

Give some thought to writing about the days your children were born, the times when a special birthday stood out for you, or a birthday that was the saddest one you ever had. When we write our family stories, include the good and the sad. It's part of who we are. I am not speaking here only to people who write to be published but to all who have had children. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...