Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Why You Should Join Writing Organizations

 

Writing Group


I've been pondering on writers who do or not join writing organizations. We have a lot of choices at the national, state, and local level. 

I prefer the state and local so that I can participate more easily. I can join a national, or even international, group, but mostly what I will benefit from is going to be through online possibilities in the form of emails and possible zoom meetings. 

At my state level, I can attend the annual convention, which is within the state and reasonable driving distance. I can also take advantage of zoom meetings and attend the smaller district meetings, either in person or on zoom. I have to say that one good thing the pandemic brought us was being able to meet via zoom, even have full writing conventions done this way. 

What will joining a national, state, or local group cost you? One thing is money. They all have to charge dues to be able to operate. The higher the level, the higher the amount of money they will ask for. In Kansas, I pay the dues to the state, but nothing further for the lower district levels. The other cost to you will be time. Becoming involved will definitely take away some writing time. But that can be a tradeoff for what you can gain. Those who are willing to donate their time in the capacity of officers or chairmen are going to sacrifice more time. 

Along with these two costs, you have the joy of some benefits gained. You'll meet other writers, develop friendships with many, and have a source to discuss writing in man ways. One on one, small groups, or small zoom meetings. The interaction with people who understand what you do is worth a great deal. 

Another benefit is learning more about writing through the workshops offered at conventions. The opportunity to meet publishers at state and national meetings is also worth a lot. Face to face always beats the printed word on a letter to an editor. 

You can meet other writers who can give you some help in trouble spots you have when writing a book. If you have no outlet other than yourself as a writer, you can stay stuck. Having others who you feel comfortable with to consult is priceless. 

Many state and national meetings offer Book Rooms where writers can sell their books, something every author seeks.

I know of many writers who join these organizations, pay their dues annually, but they don't participate. They can add their membership on a resume, but that's about all. It's a choice, but I feel that those who pay but do not reap any of the benefits are missing out on a lot. 

Many years ago, when I first started attending Kansas Authors Club state conventions, I was very much alone, knew no one, but each time I attended, I met more members and found ones I wanted to know better. I joined the local group and grew to know those people quite well. I was asked to lead a workshop at a convention and it benefited me as much as those who came to hear what I had to say. Besides, they kept asking me to present at other conventions. I loved teaching the groups and hearing the questions and discussions. 

I have served as an officer at the local level and been asked to do so at the state level. For reasons of health and distance, I declined the latter. 

I took advantage of attending meetings via zoom during the pandemic and continue to do so. I am saddened that more do not attend those meetings. The only one they hurt by not showing up is themselves. 

Join a writing organization, but do more than pay your dues. Participate to get the full benefit. It can only help your writing life if you do. The time spent will bring something to your writing journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...