Friday, April 29, 2022

Today is Put a Poem in Your Pocket Day

 


This is Put a Poem in Your Pocket Day. It is a time to turn to your favorite poets and to share poetry that you enjoy. I have selected a poem called "Winter Stars" by Sara Teasdale as my pick for this national celebration of poetry. Sara Teasdale was born in 1884 and died in 1933. 

Her poem is one of sorrow, but also of natural beauty and the peace it can bring to us. Pick a poem you like and read it today, then share with others. 

Winter Stars

I went out at night alone;

  The young blood flowing beyond the sea

Seemed to have drenched my spirit’s wings—

  I bore my sorrow heavily.


But when I lifted up my head

  From shadows shaken on the snow,

I saw Orion in the east

  Burn steadily as long ago.


From windows in my father’s house,

  Dreaming my dreams on winter nights,

I watched Orion as a girl

  Above another city’s lights.


Years go, dreams go, and youth goes too,

   The world’s heart breaks beneath its wars,

All things are changed, save in the east

  The faithful beauty of the stars.

---Sara Teasdale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...