Thursday, October 7, 2021

Bits of Bliss in Your Writing World


We're so busy with the big stuff in our lives that we often overlook the little things. So many of those small everyday pleasures are easy to miss. They happen, but we are so busy with the big chores that we can easily miss them. 

It's the same in our writing life. We're so involved with writing a first draft, editing and revising, then submitting that we miss the small bits of bliss. We're more often concerned with problems in a project we're working on. 

We skip right by the good feeling we have when a new story idea pops into our head. What is more pleasing than that? You feel good. You are anxious to get started writing the first draft. It's minor in the scope of the rest of your writing world, but worth noting each time it occurs.

Another joy is the satisfaction we feel when a project is completed. I write mostly short things, and it always makes me happy to have finished one. Those who write books must be ecstatic when the book is finished. 

Another small pleasure is when a reader offers a compliment. It might be in an email, on social media, or even in person. Makes you feel wonderful to know that your work has been appreciated, doesn't it?

When one of our submissions is published, the first time we see it in print, whether in a book we hold in our hands or online, we are happy. I once knew an obstetrician who said that he got a thrill every time he delivered a baby. It's the same for those who are published. It never seems to get old. 

I don't know about you, but when I'm at my keyboard tapping away, I forget about anything else that might have been on my mind. I move into a whole other world. It's a little thing, but rather nice. 

Slow down and take a bit of time to appreciate the little pleasures in your writing life. Can you add any others to the ones I've listed above? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...