Monday, September 6, 2021

Musing About September

Today is Labor Day which honors the achievements and contributions of the American worker. Individual states started celebrating a day to recognize those who worked in the late 19th century. President Cleveland signed a law passed by congress in 1894 to make Labor Day a federal holiday. Today, most people consider it a time to have one extra day on a weekend, a time for picnics and barbecues. It's also considered the official end of summer, even if you live in a state that has hot temps all through September. There was once an unwritten rule that no one was to wear white shoes after Labor Day. 

The photo today shows our Kansas sunflowers. Lots of other states have them, but the sunflower is the official flower of the state of Kansas. They go well with the Meadowlark, our official state bird. 

I've been on a reading binge lately. Reading is one of the most relaxing things I do. How about you? Does curling up with a book with a favorite beverage by your side help you forget about everyday cares and chores? We know they will be there when we finish the chapter or the whole book, but we've still managed a bit of escape for a while. Kids do more reading during the school year than in the summer, so a family trip to the library might be just the thing this month.

This first weekend of September brought a multitude of college football games to watch in person or on tv. My husband and I are football fans. I keep telling him how lucky he is that I like football because many women do not. The men in their lives watch with other men or alone. I grew up with a dad and three brothers who watched the game, so it was either fight it or join them. Both my mother and I joined them and became fans. 

I've noticed that several neighbors have put a fall-themed wreath on their front door. I suspect several have also done a bit of fall decorating inside their homes, too. Time for me to get with it and switch the summer wreath to fall on our door. 

Does September affect your writing life? Maybe those writers who have children back in school now find more time to write. Sometimes, a change of seasons gives us inspiration to write. When I walked for exercise, I found the fall walks stimulating and came home filled with thoughts about what I had been writing or ideas for a new piece of writing. 

Enjoy this holiday Monday and a shorter work week for many. Not all have the blessing of a day off today. Farmers have chores seven days a week. I wonder if we shouldn't have a special holiday to honor our farmers. We too often take them for granted. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...