Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Learning From the Edits of Others

 


Today's quote says:  " No author dislikes to be edited as much as he dislikes not to be published." Russell Lynes is credited for this quote. I like the content better than the sentence structure! 

I think there is truth in the quote. Most writers have publication as a goal. Being edited by someone else is difficult for some writers to accept. Have you ever been in a writing group and watched someone being critiqued who does not accept criticism well? It's rather painful for all involved. 

I was once asked to read and critique another writer's short story. She was a beginning writer, so I knew there would be lots of things to point out to her. I tried to be as kind as possible with the story that needed so much work. When we got together for coffee one afternoon, and I brought my thoughts on her story to her, she became angry, grabbed the story, and stalked off. She never spoke to me again. The lesson here is that you should not ask for a critique if you are not willing to accept the suggestions given. This woman was thrilled with the story she'd written, and she wanted me to be thrilled with it, too. When I pointed out all the places that she could work on, she was insulted and hurt.

The idea of a critique is to make some corrections and suggestions to help the writer create a stronger, better story. It is not a personal attack, although some writers take it as such. Critiques are to help, never to hurt. And the writer should look at it as a way to learn more about writing. 

Years ago, when I joined my first online writers' group, I read not only the critiques of my own submissions but those of other members, as well. It was a terrific learning experience. I found it better than attending a workshop or reading a reference book on how to write. I continued to read the critiques of all the members which helped me become a better writer. I also learned how to write a critique for others in a helpful way. 

When we submit our work to an editor, and that editor rejects our submission, but also gives some reasons why he/she did not want to publish it, we should take it as a learning opportunity. Of course, our first reaction is disappointment that something we were proud of didn't make it. Next, we should look seriously at the editor's remarks. We need to give some thought to what was pointed out. Do we agree or totally disagree? Are we willing to make some changes before submitting elsewhere? Are we big enough to accept the criticism and grow as a writer or not? 

Sadly, many editors reject a submission without giving any reasons. Granted, it takes more time for them to do so, but wouldn't it be nice if they took the small amount of time to help a writer? Of course, I am looking at this from the writer's perspective. If I was an editor, my outlook might be completely different. 

No one likes to be told that they could do better. No writer wants to be told to revise and edit again. It is only demeaning if we allow it. Develop the attitude that critiques and edits from others are meant to help us, not hurt us. They should make us stronger writers who get published more often. 

One of the best writers I know, one who wrote an award winning book, sent a short story to be critiqued by our writing group. She had plenty of feedback. Critiquers pointed out a few discrepancies, a few confusing sections, and more. She sent a thank you saying how much she appreciated the help and how she had not realized some of the problems. We often do not see the problems in our own writing. It takes another objective person to help us discover them. That is one of the top reasons for having someone else critique your work. 

You can be disappointed with a critique or an editor's comments, but don't let it deflate you. Use it as inspiration to continue to work on your story and submit it to another publication. Keep in mind that publication is your goal. Revising and editing move you along the path to reach your goal. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...