Friday, April 9, 2021

Do You Want to Write a Book?

 


Our poster today is a book tree. Wouldn't be fun to have one in your backyard, waterproofed, of course? Rather than reading books, let's look at those who want to write one? 

Does writing a book inspire you, frighten you, make your knees weak, or get you excited? I would venture to say that most writers start with the idea, or dream, of writing a book. It's an ultimate goal to be reached by various paths and roadblocks. 

Should you attempt writing a book for your first writing project? Many do, but few are successful at selling their initial book to a publishing company. Some self-publish, then run into problems on the marketing end. Self-publishers are like a one-man band. They must do it all! It could be a learn-as-you-go program. Mistakes will be made, some of which can be corrected, some perhaps not. 

I've noted many people on a memoir writing site who say they have a story to tell but have no writing experience. They plunge in head-first and write their book. Is this a wrong approach? Not necessarily. If that story is burning within you, and you feel the need, go ahead. Will it be perfect? Probably not. Can you find help to revise and edit? Of course. A lot also depends on your intent in writing the book. Is it for yourself, family and friends, or to publish for the world to claim? 

Being the writer I am, my suggestion would be to learn something about writing first. Then write some short pieces of memoir to test the waters. Work your way up to writing a full book. Write short pieces that are not a memoir. Perhaps some family stories or a personal essay, a children's story, or even some poetry. Try your luck submitting to publishers or contests. Wade into the writing waters before you swim to the deep part. 

Read all you can about writing; narrow it down to the type of book you want to write. When I first started writing, I thought I wanted to write for middle-grade kids, so I read every book about children's books that I could find in my local library and bookstores. I moved on to writing personal essays and family stories, so I started reading books about this kind of writing. I read books about writing fiction, too, as I still wanted to dabble in both children's and adult fiction at some point. I read books that were meant to inspire me as a writer. Some did. 

The publishing world has seen many changes over the years. The biggest is in self-publishing. There are pros and cons to self-publishing. If anyone can do it, then we know the quality of the books will range from godawful to superb. As said previously, being a self-published writer, you are the one doing it all, but probably reaching out for help at some point. You will have the upfront money to pay with hopes of coming out ahead if your book sells enough copies. It's a huge commitment, and those who pursue it should be passionate and confident about writing. I have known a few people who started their own small publishing company where they published their own book.

I have written one book, but it's never been published. I doubt it ever will. Even so, I feel like I met a goal set many years ago. There is still time for me to pursue publication on my middle-grade novel. One day, I might work a little harder towards that achievement. Or I might leave it that I wrote the novel, and I was happy with it and leave it at that. 

Some things to consider if you want to write a book:
  • How many other books are there like yours?
  • Have you any writing experience?
  • Are you willing to write short before attempting a book?
  • Do you plan to self-publish or submit to publishing houses?
  • Are you proficient in grammar, spelling, and word usage?
  • Do you understand things like plot vs theme?
  • Can you write with emotion?
  • Can you use the five senses in your writing?
  • Can you make smooth transitions from paragraph to paragraph and chapter to chapter?
  • Is your writing clear and concise?
  • Do you feel driven to write this book?
  • Can you live with criticism from readers? This is a big one for new writers.
There is much to consider when you decide to write a book. Step back and look at it from every angle. If you're still feeling the passion to write it, give it a try, but I hope you'll work at learning about writing along the way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...