Tuesday, March 2, 2021

For the Love of Reading

 


Most writers are also avid readers. I have a long history of reading from the time Miss Curto, my first-grade teacher placed a primary reader upon each desk in our classroom. "Do not open it yet," she said as she continued putting books on desks. Next, she proceeded to instruct us on how to open a new book and pointed out the cover and back cover. We moved page by page to the one that showed a picture of two children and their dog with several words on the page. Dick and Jane and their dog, Spot, helped us learn to read. I was hooked that day, so very long ago, and am a voracious reader to this very day.

What books did you read and enjoy in grade school? In high school? During college? And for the rest of your life, however long it has been. We can probably pinpoint a person's age from the books they read growing up as the series change over the years. Some stay constant while others fade into the past. 

For me, it was the Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew mysteries, Sue Barton, Nurse, a series of books using shoes in the title--Theater Shoes, Ballet Shoes, Circus Shoes, and others. I loved the Little House books. A book I've never forgotten was The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.  In high school, I discovered Pearl Buck and the many books she wrote that had a background in China. My reading time in college was limited except for those I read for classes, but I still managed to read for relaxation now and then.

Reading helped me traverse the pandemic months. I feared not being able to find enough books to read, but between friends who loaned books, and the library reserve system as well as ebooks for Kindle, I managed to never be without a book. I still enjoy some series that follow a principal character. Some favorites are:
  • Daniels Silva's series featuring Gabriel Allon, who is an art restorer and Israeli spy. Great suspense.
  • Louise Penny's series follows the adventures of Armand Gamache, a police detective in Quebec and the small village of Three Pines. Good mysteries with a cast of characters a regular reader learns to love.
  • Charles Todd (mother and son co-authors) have two series that I have read. One features Ian Rutledge, a Scotland Yard detective still haunted by experiences in France in WWI. The other series follows Bess Crawford, a nurse during WWI. Good mysteries
You may note that all three series I mentioned above are mysteries and suspense books. That's not the only genre I enjoy. Historical Fiction is high on my list as well as family sagas. Is it any wonder I loved the tv series, Downton Abbey?

Everyone has certain genres they are attracted to in bookstores or libraries or at our great outlet for books--Amazon. We tend to gravitate to those sections. I skip right on by Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, and Chick Lit. 

How about you? Are you a reader? Do you have favorites from childhood? What genres interest you the most? Do you read mostly fiction or non-fiction? Poetry? Plays? Memoirs? Essays? Have you considered why you read certain kinds of books? What is it that appeals to you? 

Reading helps me travel the world and learn about its peoples. It entertains me, informs me, and soothes me.

All this about reading for today's post was inspired by a notice I read about several of the Dr. Seuss books being banned as they are racist and more. It made me sad as children love these books and do not see them in that way. It is adults who are 'reading into' them the racist and other matters. Children only see the fun and nonsense in these books. Curious George is criticized because it involves a white man who brings a monkey home from Africa. A little monkey who had all sorts of grand adventures. My grandson loved those books, and I know all he liked was the story each one told. Plus, I am one who believes books should not be banned. We should be able to choose what we want to read, both children and adults. 

Surely, some will not agree with me, and that's fine. We are all entitled to an opinion. Most of all, I hope you are reading books and enjoying them as well as appreciating what authors do for those who love to read. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...