Thursday, February 25, 2021

Rejections Offer Lessons for Writers

 


Good advice in today's poster. Never a failure, always a lesson. I believe that's true, and I have written on this topic more than once. 

When we fail, which to us writers means a rejection, we need to look for a reason that we failed. We must find the lesson. There is almost always a lesson to be found. 

The bigger problem is when we don't look for a lesson to be learned or when we see the lesson but don't heed it. It's another of those 'it's up to you' situations. 

This month, I have received three rejections out of six submitted. Still waiting for answers on the other three, and it will be quite some time as the anthology doesn't answer quickly. I did ask myself why the rejections came for the other three. 

On one, I think I aimed too high. The publication takes only the very, very best. But I decided to give it a try anyway. I wasn't surprised when the rejection arrived. I suppose the lesson here is to not try to submit to publications far above my writing level. Definitely something to consider, and I often pass right by the ones I don't think will give my work a chance. Another lesson here might be to go ahead and try submitting to an elite publication. There's always a slim chance they might like what I send. 

On a second one, I felt my story fit the magazine guidelines quite well. They did not, even though they have published another story I had sent a while ago. When I reread my story, I realized that the emphasis was not on the person it should have been to fit the guidelines of this magazine related to disabilities. Definitely a lesson learned.

The third rejection was a poem with slight political overtones, and perhaps the publication shied away from poetry of that kind. Or perhaps the editor had a totally different opinion on the topic. I think my lesson here is to either research the editor and publication more carefully to see which way they lean or to avoid sending anything with a political inference. 

There are lessons to be found in all our rejections, but we have to look for them. I would suggest you not start that search immediately after receiving the word that your submission didn't make it. Give it a couple days, then start seeking some answers for what the lesson might be. 

Do remember that rejection is a very big part of the writing world. The acceptances serve to soothe our ruffled feathers over the ones that didn't make it. Whatever happens, don't stop submitting. 

2 comments:

  1. You have a really healthy way of handling life-lessons or rejected submissions. I'm guessing that your self-esteem was pretty good outside of writing in order to submit in the first place. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe self-esteem or self-confidence is helpful in staying positive and 'looking for those lessons.'

      Delete

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...