Monday, January 18, 2021

Writers and Making Decisions


 

This quote has no name associated with it, but whoever said it is a wise person. Those of you who read my blog on a regular basis know that I have concluded many posts by saying something like 'it's up to you. or it's your decision.' 

In our writing world, we have lots of choices. Among them are:  Do I write fiction or non-fiction or stories for kids? Shall I use my real name or a pen name? Should I start with a novel? Or should I write short stories first? Can I write poetry without having studied it in college or a master's program? Do I want to emulate my favorite writers or be different? Should I submit to more than one publication at a time? Should I edit once and call it quits or keep editing? 

I could go on and on with the choices writers must make. The quote tells us that all kinds of other things in our life are not responsible for the decisions we make. I would add another thought. I do believe that we are responsible for all our decisions and choices, but some of those things listed--your parents, past relationships, jobs, the economy, or your age--enter into the choices you make. Your life experiences make you the person you are and help form the decisions you make. 

We do have many choices in our writing lives. Whether you are prone to a negative or a positive outlook makes a whale of a difference in the choices we make. 

When you are in decision mode, it helps to make two lists. One for the pluses and the other naming the minuses of whatever it is you are trying to decide. Don't just think about it, make an actual list., one you can read a number of times. Letting it flit through your mind and actually reading the list numerous times will make a big difference in the final choice you make. 

A friend might be able to help you, but in the end, making decisions or choices comes down to you and no one else. Once you've made up your mind, go with it. Don't berate yourself if the choice turns out to be a poor one. We don't all bat a thousand with our decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...