Friday, January 8, 2021

New Beginnings for Writers

 


January is a time for new beginnings. We've finished with last year. Now it's time to start new things, to have a fresh look at our writing world, and to push the old problems away.

The poster quote for today mentions '...the magic of beginnings.' Do you agree that there is something special or magical about starting a brand new writing project? I love starting new things. I even enjoy turning the calendar pages at the start of a new month. There's something that feels fresh and offers a clean slate just waiting for us to fill it.

Starting something new is a mood lifter. I can hear some of you saying 'But it also brings problems. Like how am I going to start this new project? And can I say in print what is in my head? And....?' Of course, there will be small hurdles to jump over, but isn't that part of the writing game? Instead of problems or hurdles, consider them as challenges. It might be easier to deal with challenges than the others. 

Writers are either planners or pansters--those who outline and plan a new writing project in detail and those who write by the seat of their pants letting an idea grow as they go. It doesn't matter which way you begin a new project. I am definitely a panster. Once I have an idea, I start writing and let it lead me. Do what works best for you. Either way, consider a new writing project this month.

Another new beginning some writers can embrace is a change of attitude. If you're one to look on the negative side of things, work on becoming more positive. It's a new year. Leave the old you behind. 

What if you're a procrastinator? This new year is one that can be the beginning of changing that. Don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today. I find that if I delay a day or two, it's much easier to let it slide for even more days. I learned that about myself a very long time ago and decided to address whatever it was right away. 

Embrace the new year by beginning a fresh writing project. Look for the magic it might bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...