Friday, August 7, 2020

 

Public Library Atrium, Manhattan, Kansas


The photo today is of a metal sculpture in my local library. It depicts the animals in Aesop's Fables. As well as being unique, it is dear to my heart as I was president of the Friends group at the time money was being raised, and the sculpture put up. It came in a big truck in pieces and reassembled. More than once, I have seen a child studying the animals and the rest of the lovely piece of art. 

The metal sculpture is an unusual and beautiful adornment to a building I love. My mother introduced me to the wonders of the library world when I was in first grade and had learned to write my name. That printing of my name was key to receiving my first library card. I had learned to read at school and was eager for more.

We're told that writers should be readers. That said, readers should be library users. One follows the other. Writers should not only read, but they should foster the love of reading in their children, or perhaps siblings, or even a spouse who had not been a reader when a marriage took place. 

I had better add here that there is nothing wrong with purchasing your books. Authors much prefer that you do, but many people cannot afford to buy myriad numbers of books over a year. Do buy some but use your library, too.

Think back over the years about the different libraries you have known--the first one you ever visited, perhaps your college library where you spent time studying and doing research, and the ones in the various towns you've lived in. Whenever we have moved, one of the first places I visit is the local library. Grade schools, middle schools and high schools also have libraries. They vary in size and quality. Many teachers have small libraries within a classroom. 

A Carnegie Library is one built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist. Using his donated funds, these libraries were built between 1883 and 1929. The funds were not just tossed aimlessly to those communities who asked for them. The money was given along with a 6 Step Plan for librarians to follow. The original library in my community (Manhattan, KS) was one of the libraries built with this special fund. The building we have now is entirely different from that early one built more than 100 years ago. You might check to see if your local library was one of the original Carnegie Libraries. 

I have posted an essay about libraries that I wrote several years ago here a few times, so I won't post the entire piece now. Just one paragraph that tells about the library, any library, being my 'second home.' (Miss Maze was the librarian at the very first library I used)
 
Now, when I open the big glass door to my local library and walk through the atrium to the book-lined shelves, I feel just like I did when Miss Maze took my hand and led me to the children's books. I am happy and contented, as though loving arms have surrounded me with a great big hug. Best of all, I still feel exciting anticipation of the unknown treasure waiting for me amongst the volumes that line the shelves in my second home.

What is memorable about your own library experience? This would be a good topic for your Family Stories. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...