Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Writers--Read Your Drafts Aloud



Once again, I am going to urge you to read your work aloud as part of your proofreading/editing process. You will hear errors that your eyes might slide right over as you read silently.

Only yesterday, one of the women in my writing group critiqued a new essay I'd subbed. She pointed out the number of 'was' and 'had' words I had used. I tell you all the time to get rid of as many passives as you can. Then I did what I preach not to. In my defense, this was a first draft. so I'll claim that as my excuse. 

If you use Word to write your stories, essays and such, look at the top bar, go to the far right side. You will see Find with what looks like a magnifying glass next to it. Cllick on the Find, and a box will pop up on the left side of your document. Type in any word that you want to check in the box given. That word will then be highlighted throughout your document. It can be quite a shock to see the number of times you used a particular word. Try it with the passive verbs like 'was, were, is, are' to see if you're overloaded. Also, if your document is about a particular thing, perhaps 'government,' check to see the number of times you used that word. Then try to use different words for some of them. I didn't take time to read this one out loud, and if I had, I'd have had the problem corrected before subbing to my group.

If you read your work aloud, you'll discover some sentences that are way too long. Ones where you had to stop and take a breath before finishing. Have several of those, and you're in trouble. Overly long sentences are easy to fix. They can almost always be easily separated into two, or even three, sentences. You won't lose the meaning, just the extreme length.

Read with your voice, and you could discover words that your readers might stumble over, even though they are reading silently. 

You might also find spots that don't make much sense to you. It's far better that you discover them in the editing process so you can revise or rework those areas. 

One writer said she thought she'd feel silly reading her own work out loud in an empty room. Why? You're there alone, and the practice is to help you create a better piece of writing. I wouldn't advise standing in the kitchen while dinner prep is going on and reading your story over the conversation of others. Do it on your own. Close the door to the room you're in if necessary.

It is especially important to read poetry you've written out loud. You'll quickly see places where the rhythm is a bit off, or a word doesn't fit. Or a rhyme doesn't work very well. 

So, silly or not, try this the next time you finish the first draft and again when you have done all the revisions you felt were needed. 


2 comments:

  1. Yes, read your drafts out loud. Since I record an audio track for each of my weekly blogs, I'm always discovering necessary edits after reading the essays out loud.

    ReplyDelete

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...