Wednesday, July 1, 2020

An Author's Presentation on Writing Her Novel


A radio announcer in Chicago back in the '50s used to tell listeners that on the first day of each new month, you should say Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit for Good Luck. Silliness, but it made people remember him, and to this day, I often see Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit flit across my mind on the first day of the month. So, this morning, I turned the page on the calendar and guess what I thought?

On June 18th, I posted a book review here for a brand new YA novel written by Julie Stielstra. The book, Opulence--Kansas--is one even adults can enjoy. As writers, we often wonder what prompted a story, how it was researched and drawn together, finding a publisher, and marketing. This past Saturday, Julie gave a presentation on all those things to a Kansas Authors District meeting. Happily, she has a PowerPoint presentation now on YouTube.  You can watch it on your own time schedule. It takes about 50 minutes.

I had planned on attending the Saturday via Zoom, but there was a snag and I couldn't get into the meeting. Writer friend, Jim Potter, came to the rescue yesterday with the link to the presentation on YouTube. 

I watched it at my leisure and thoroughly enjoyed hearing how one author moved through the process of writing a book, finding a publisher, and the marketing situation. Even though the book is YA, the process is basically the same as for any novel. I think you can learn something if you watch. 

Julie Stielstra has a website that might also be of interest to you. One thing I love about moving through an author's website is that, while I learn much about the writer's professional life, I also end up thinking that they are ordinary people like you and me, but who have an admirable talent for writing.

Spend some time today watching Julie's presentation. Consider it a writing exercise.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...