Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Writing the First Words of a Story



Yesterday's post highlighted developing your writer's eye. It helps you see stories everywhere, but seeing and writing them can be quite different. 

Beatrix Potter's quote--There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you.--is one that can especially apply to those writers who classify themself as a 'panster,' meaning one who writes by the seat of their pants. No detailed outline made before beginning. They do have an idea, but these writers are ones who write those first words and then sail with them. 

I am that kind of writer. When I wrote the first draft of my juvenile novel, I had an idea of where to begin, but I didn't have a clue as to what was going to happen to my protagonist, Will. I wrote chapter after chapter allowing Will and his best friend, Emily, to lead me through the rest of the story. When I was in the middle of the book, I had no idea how the story would end, but I found the ending with their help.

Some writers cannot write those 'delicious' beginning words until they have an outline, character sketch charts, and more finished. I do understand that this is an excellent approach with many complicated, detailed novels, but I wonder if these writers also make an outline when they write a short story. Comments would be welcome. If it is what works for them, then it's fine.

Ms. Potter's quote shows us that we need to find some pleasure in those first words in a story. It's a beginning to something new. It is often not known where those words will take you. I sense, too, that she was a woman who found joy in her writing. Do you? It's no fun to trudge through a story and not like what you're doing. I think you have to like your story for the characters to come to life for the reader. 

The opening line of Beatrix Potter's famous children's story is “Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were – Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail and Peter….” Did the author know which rabbit would get in trouble? Did she already know what the problem would be? Or did Peter lead her straight into Mr. MacGregor's garden? Whatever the case was, she no doubt enjoyed writing that opening, what to her were 'delicious' words. 

How about you? Do you have some delicious words to write today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...