Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Write About Your Mother



Yesterday, we visited genealogy and Family Stories. Today, let's narrow it down to stories about our mothers. It's a bit past Mother's Day, but we're in the month that honors mothers. I liked this quote and the poster photo. Look at the way the little boy leans into his mother. For him, it's a place of safety and comfort. 

Try writing about your mother including the following: 
  • where she grew up
  • siblings or no siblings?
  • where did she fall in the line of siblings?
  • her school years
  • her hobbies
  • her chores
  • her personality
  • boyfriends and dating
  • which parent she was closest to
  • church and Sunday School
  • temperament
  • happiest moments
  • saddest moments
  • her marriage
  • her husband
  • her children
  • her grandchildren
  • favorite foods
  • favorite flower
  • best friends
  • musical ability
  • physical traits
  • emotional traits
  • her disappointments
You can probably come up with more. I found myself writing a great deal about my mother when I was asked to speak at her memorial service. I was thankful that she had been a storyteller, so I knew a lot about her growing up years and farther on, right up to her final day. I have also written something titled "About Our Mother" which was sent to my three brothers and they, in turn, could send to their children. (I did one for my father, as well) 

As you write about your mother, you'll find that little things trigger memories and stories that happened long ago. Take advantage of that and write a family story. When a memory jumps up, stop and make a few notes so that you can write the story later. If you don't, it will slip away never to be found again.

My mother was the youngest of five, all the older siblings were boys. Two had died as toddlers. She grew up in a small coal-mining town in Iowa where she had free rein to wander the streets. She knew no stranger as a child or as an adult. She talked to everyone and had a smile for all. Her mother was very strict, and my poor mama was always in trouble, or so it seemed. Her big brothers protected her and stood up for her, and she adored them all of her life. She often walked to the coal mine outside of town when her dad's shift was over to walk home with him. Her name was Garnet, but he called her Buddy, which was most appropriate. 

That nickname triggered a story Mom told me long ago. The short version is that her mother attended church services Sunday mornings and Sunday nights. One Sunday evening, my mother begged to stay at home with her dad. Once her mother left, the two of them went to the picture show, as the theater was called. During the intermission, a drawing was held, and, wouldn't you know, my mother and her father won a floor lamp with a flaming red shade. On the walk home, her dad said, "Now, we're gonna be in big trouble, Buddy." 

I could write more and more about my mother, but my aim here was to show a little so that you can get started writing about your own mother. Tell us what you loved about her, what you didn't. In other words, don't just dote on her good qualities, tell it all. Draw a word painting so your readers will know this woman you called Mom, Mother, Mama or some other name. 

Do this for your family, and maybe do it for your mother, whether she is still with you or not. I can almost guarantee that you more Family Stories will evolve from writing all you can about your mother. This exercise is not just for writers. Everyone can do this, Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...