Thursday, April 16, 2020

An Uplifting Writing Project

This morning, I was searching high and low for something related to my now dead computer.  Most of the search was in file drawers. You can guess, I’m sure, as to what happened. I didn’t find what I sought, but I did find folder upon folder of long-forgotten papers of all kinds. 

I had to take time to read through many, finding a few surprises and lots of memories. 

One folder held quite a few e-mails written to me from various members of my online writing group. They were sent in 2009 which is partly why they were such a surprise and gave a lift to me on this chilly, rainy stay-at-home day during the pandemic we are experiencing. 

One of the members had proposed a project for any who wanted to participate. The guidelines were to write to as many members of the group as you wanted to, telling them what you liked about their writing.  We were to include why we liked whatever it was. No negatives, all positives but honest. 

I read through the whole folder, and felt better than I have since our world changed so drastically several weeks ago. The things these writers told me meant even more because they were all writers whom I admired as people, but even more so as writers. 

Today, I am proposing a similar project for you. If you’re in a writing group, it works well. If you aren’t,  send a note or e-mail to writers whose work you admire. And tell them what it is that you like.  Mention specific pieces they wrote if you like. (I was amazed at the ones who wrote to me and mentioned certain personal essays and short memoir. ) Write several at a time or one a day for a few days. 

You could make their day, and you’ll have a sense of satisfaction, as well. 

I never did find what I was looking for. Instead, I something far nicer, something that will stay with me on these long days at home.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...