Monday, February 24, 2020

Writers Must Grow in Their Craft



It doesn't matter what you have or have not accomplished on your writing journey. If you've been highly successful, there is still room to grow, and the same goes for the newbie writer who hits the wall with frustration. Room to grow. 

If I ever feel like I can learn no more about this craft of writing, I hope someone will sit me down and give me a good lecture. I don't ever want to stop improving my writing, and neither should you. 

We don't want to become complacent. We need those aims and objectives kept before us. When we accomplish one, add another. We need motivation. We need inspiration. Take a dose of each and you will grow as a writer.

One of Stephen King's quotes is repeated so often that it must be a very strong piece of advice. He said: “If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot.”
He's telling you to leave room to grow as a writer. 

Writers sometimes feel like they're stuck in a rut. They seem to be writing the same old way, the same old topics, the same old methods. If you want to sit there and wallow in self-pity, you're not leaving yourself room to grow. It's time to open yourself to new vistas, to try new types of writing, to step outside the box. 

Aim for growth with every writing project you begin. Will it work? Sometimes, it will, and other times, you'll feel like you're being sucked down into the mud of sameness. The idea is to work at the growth, not give up. And yes, I'll repeat myself--it's up to you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...