Friday, February 28, 2020

Six Steps To Help Writers Believe in Themselves



Yesterday's post was about persevering even when discouraged, about thinking over your status as a writer, and about what is needed to continue to reach for success. If you missed it, read it here

I heard from a friend this morning who also writes. She read yesterday's post and the earlier one about Chicken Soup guidelines, and she told me she had sent a story to that anthology some years ago. It was accepted, so with that bit of encouragement, she sent them many more only to be rejected each time. Sadly, it does happen. One of the results was that my friend gave up writing and turned back to another love--painting. She is a talented woman, both in writing and her art. Why those many stories were rejected by Chicken Soup I cannot even guess. Very discouraging, but I'm happy that she had another creative outlet to turn to. 

Today's quote is by Theodore Roosevelt, one of our more memorable presidents. I read a nonfiction book several years ago about his expedition on the Amazon River in Brazil when little was known about it. It was a daunting task to undertake, even with many men, equipment and Brazilian guides, but he 'believed' he could make the trip with outstanding results. Despite one roadblock after another, he pursued his desire to explore this amazing river and its surroundings. 

The first step in making any accomplishment has to be the belief that you can do it. Is it egotistical to do so? Some might say yes, but I think it is what spurs us to higher things. Too many writers end up putting themselves down when multiple rejections roll in. Their inner critic reminds them often that they aren't a very good writer. Negative thoughts crowd out all the others. How do you get around that? It's not a piece of cake to change from the negatives to the positives, but you can do it step by step.

1  Determination:  Push away those negative thoughts and the self-pity. (You know we have all held a pity party for ourself at one time or another. Problem with that is that you are the only guest. No one else shows up!) Make up your mind that you are going to work at this writring business as hard as possible and with positive thoughts. 

2.  Hard Work:  There is no doubt that to be successful in the writing world, it takes a lot of hard work. Many hours learning the craft, and many more pursuing it. 

3.  Goals:  Keep your goal in mind. Put up a sign near your computer to remind you of where you're heading. When you have some success, remind yourself in any way possible that you achieved a goal and will continue to do so. A simple thing for me is that I have a bookcase in my office that holds all the anthologies that my work has appeared in. No, I don't stand and admire it on a daily basis, but when I pass it or notice it, something positive happens. It reminds me that I've acheived some of my goals and spurs me onward. 

4.  Ego:  There's nothing wrong in being a bit egotistic about your work. I'm not suggesting you run up and down the street or aisles of the grocery store tooting your own horn about the good things in your writing life. No. But when an opportunity presents itself to let you share your successes with others, it's quite alright to do so. In fact, it is a way to market yourself and your published work. You won't be able to do this unless you either believe in yourself now or work toward believing in yourself. 

5.  Nix the Negatives:  I've encouraged writiers to do this many times. You can't climb high if you're mired in the mud of negativity.

6.  Good Attitude:  I'm a big believer in the power of having a good attitude. Of course, that is part of the 'nix the negative' point above. I've seen people who have really positive attitudes turn the corner in a medical situation. Granted, medicine itself had a big hand, but I firmly believe that attitude does, too.

Look again at the points above and rate yourself. I hope you came up with more good than bad, but if not, maybe you can work a little at a time on each one. Start today!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...