Thursday, January 23, 2020

Connect With Other Writers









The photo above has nothing to do with today's topic. In these cold, often dreary, January days, we can use something to cheer us a bit. Those delicate peach roses give me hope that spring will come once again. 

I've recently joined an online group for women writers. This one is different from my main critiquing group. It's more of a place for women in mid-life and older to connect with one another. It started with an invitation through a newsletter. Those who opted to sign on were asked to introduce themselves, give a short bio and tell the others what they wanted from the group. The big question was Why did you join this group?

When I read the answers, the keyword seemed to be connect. These women wanted someone in their own age group to link their writing lives, to chat, to commiserate, to ask for help when stuck on a project and more. Mid-life women responded but so did a few seniors like me. We were warmly welcomed.

Many nonwriters think of writing as a solitary pursuit. When we're at the computer, or with pad and pen, it is a one-person activity. We can spend hours per day all alone with our thoughts and words and getting them into a readable form. Maybe that's why it is also important for writers to unite with other writers. 

Isn't it nice to ask another writer for an opinion on what you/ve written, or how you plan to approach an editor or ways to promote your just-published book? Isn't it nice to cry on the shoulder of another writer when things are going every which way but right? That old cliche 'misery loves company' can apply in this case. 

There are some writers who say they'd like to connect with other writers, but they aren't very good in social situations. I hear things like I only listen when I'm in a group of writers. I don't feel like I have anything to offer other writers. I'm a shy person. We're not all chatty people. In an online group, it might be easier to offer an opinion. Even physically speaking, it is easier to participate in a group online rather than driving some distance to gather at a time convenient for all, perhaps to arrange for another parent to pick kids up from school and more. 

There has been a lot of activity in this new group, but I think that will slow down once everyone has introduced themself and given their reasons for joining. This week, we were given a prompt, and I noticed that only a handful responded to that. I'm fine with that, as I don't want my inbox overwhelmed with messages from one group

As time goes on, I can assess what I am receiving and what I'm offering. Many years ago, I was the moderator of a group of people who wanted to write for children. It started out fine, but it ended up that I was almost the only one bringing something to read to the group and helping them find places to learn more about writing for children. I never mind giving to others, but when I am getting nothing in return, it didn't sit well. The group dissolved which was too bad as there were people in it who had the potential to write publishable children's books, stories or articles.

I do urge you to connect with other writers in a face to face critique group, an online group, or a local, state or national organization for writers. If you feel you are not benefiting, it's quite easy to step aside. I do hope you won't because there are definite benefits to connecting with other writers.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...