Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Writers--Strike While the Iron is Hot!



You might wonder why I have used the Merry Christmas photo above when it is 9 days prior to that holiday. I did have a reason which came to me yesterday as we were driving home from Texas after visiting our son's family. Ken was driving, and I was doing the thinking. The title of today's post is a definite cliche, but it fit quite well as I pondered my topic for Tuesday.

It makes sense to submit a story regarding a holiday at least six months prior to the time it is celebrated--whether Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, Valentine's Day, Groundhog Day, Mother's Day or Easter. That's all well and good, but it's not so easy to write a Christmas story in May or June. You could, but maybe the emotion wouldn't be as great, the glow might have faded, and your memory might not serve you well. 

So why not write your Christmas stories now? We saw three Christmas shows in Branson the first week of the month, and I was truly inspired to write something about Christmas. There are programs at your children's' schools or churches that might trigger a story idea. Shopping for gifts or the ingredients you need to make those special holiday treats could also be an inspiration. But it's NOW! Not next April. 

I can hear a good many of you saying something like Does she think I have time to write a Christmas story now when I'm already behind in my preparations? I get it. I'm there, too. What you can do is write the first draft, write a series of phrases that have popped into your head during December. Get the bones now and flesh it out in January or February. If you do that and start working on it some snowy January day, you could play some Christmas music to help bring the mood back. Or keep your Christmas cards, then look through them. Those Christmas thoughts might return to you. 

I've used Christmas stories as an example primarily because that is the season we are in now, but it works with any holiday story. 

When the story is finished, make a list of places you want to submit to and start sending it to the first one. If it is rejected, move on to the next one. You can also send simultaneous submissions if the guidelines say they accept simultaneous subs. I prefer not to do that as I once got myself in trouble that way. Two publications sent me an acceptance within a day of one another. I had to choose to withdraw one, and that was not easy. I felt bad as both editors wrote a very nice acceptance letter. I vowed to never do simultaneous submissions again. I think what happened to me is not the norm; it was more of a unique situation.

1 comment:

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...