Friday, December 6, 2019

Delivering The Message



We spent the past four days in Branson, MO with a group of friends. Branson offers first-class shows year-round, but their Christmas shows are especially popular. Singing and dancing reigned, but each show also delivered a message about the meaning of Christmas that came across very well. No guessing as to what this was all about. No wondering why they were presenting the shows. 

It made me think about those who write personal essays or memoirs. Writing about an experience is just fine, but if you don't let your reader know how you were affected or what you learned, then it's worthless. 

No editor wants to publish your travel essay if all you do is list the places you visited, where you stayed, or what you ate. Sure, that's important. Still, the reader should find out what you learned, what universal truth came to you while on your trip, or how it changed you. Deliver the message just like the old Western Union delivery boys did when they brought a telegram to someone's door.

If I write about a traumatic situation in my family, is it enough for me to describe what happened and then cut it off? No. The reader wants to know how I reacted, what my feelings were, and what I learned. More than just detailing what occurred, I need to deliver a message to my readers.

When you write a personal essay and are ready to edit and revise, questions to ask yourself are:  Have I hit on a universal truth? Have I told my readers how this affected me? Have I shared my feelings, not just facts? If your answers to those questions are negative, you are going to need to do some major revising.

I'm always advising writers to read. When you read the work of other writers, look for the answers to the questions listed above. Did they deliver the message or not? Let's face it, if all we do is list what happened and nothing else, it could end up to be a boring read. 

The next time you write a personal essay, or a short memoir piece, be sure you delivered the message.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy, this is an excellent essay. First off, I like the visual, but the importance of writers connecting with a universal truth and how it affects them, is exactly on point. I'll bet you could teach a program on this. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a workshop at the KAC Convention on this topic, 2 yrs ago and maybe another time before that, as well.

      Delete

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...