Thursday, October 17, 2019

Take Time in Devloping A New Story Idea



When I get an idea for a story, poem or essay, I've learned that I shouldn't sit down immediately and start to write the first draft. If I keep the idea simmering in the back of my mind, more info comes to me, bit by bit. The time will come when I feel ready to go to my laptop and finally start that initial writing.

Some people will say to 'strike while the iron is hot,' to start writing as soon as the idea comes to you. Maybe that works for some writers. Others of you might be more like me, waiting for the idea to develop more before actually working on it. I do jot notes because I know how quickly an idea can pop up and then disappear like the morning mist over a river. Sometimes, I don't follow my own advice and write the first draft too quickly. I am soon reminded of how much better it is to take more time before writing.

Taking a walk leaves you with no distractions so your mind is fully ready to do some thinking. Wouldn't it be great to desert your chores and cares as you meander through these yellow woods? The sunlight slipping through the trees, the soft sound of your feet on the fallen leaves, the crispness in the autumn air--all of this allows your mind to reach out for those further pieces to develop your story idea.

If you're writing an essay, taking time to let more ideas evolve will help you see the topic from more than one angle. You have your set idea as to what you want to write about, but, if you wait a while, you can come up with perceiving it from more than one angle. If it's fiction, you'll be able to decide what problems and helps your characters will have.

Yesterday, I talked about writers needing to learn patience. Allowing yourself time to let a story idea develop takes a good dose of that patience. Sometimes, I am too impatient and want to start working on the actual writing immediately. I don't always wait to write the first draft, but I do wait for days, even weeks, before doing the editing and revision. It's during that period that the new thoughts about that piece of writing float through my mind.

Have you ever been so eager to finish and submit a piece that you work rabidly on it, then immediately submit it? The next day, you start thinking about something you forgot to add, or you wish you had put in another example or happening. Too late after you've submitted the piece. Another dose of that patience thingie will avoid situations like that.

I used the example of taking a walk to clear your mind and allow the thoughts needed to bring your story idea to fruition. But those thoughts that will help you develop your story can come while you're folding the clothes from the dryer, or sitting in your car waiting for kids to come out of the school, or while watching a ball game.

The main thing is to listen to those thoughts because they are going to help you write a better story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...