Sunday, October 6, 2019

Convention Notes


Posting Sunday evening instead of Monday morning...

We might not become a full master, but sometimes we get close. This weekend's convention was filled with many 'apprectices' who are very close to becoming a 'master.' 

My friend, Grant Overstake, had his book rejected by 70 agents and editors, so he formed his own publishing company and published The Real Education of TJ Crowley on his own. Last night at the Kansas Authors Convention Banquet, Grant received the award for the Best Book of the year and the Best Cover Design. 

I interviewed Grant about his writing journey in a post a while back. You can read it here. I was so pleased that my friend received a well-deserved recognition for his outstanding YA novel that deals with the Civil unrest in Wichita, KS in 1968-69. Learn more about the book at Amazon. Grant may not be a master yet, but he's awfully close. I think he'll make it.

There were others at the convention who won awards in the writing contest, as well. I received first place in the Memoir/Inspirational category. I also received a Merit Award for service to those in the organization, as well as certificates for a 20-year membership and one recognizing my age. Imagine!

One of the women at the convention stopped to visit with me last evening. She reads this blog and said that a suggestion I had posted about the Calls for Submissions Facebook page encouraged her to submit to a place she'd found there. Sounded like a longshot, but she ended up having her work accepted. She also received several awards in the annual writing contest today. I love hearing about the success of my readers. She may be in that Apprentice category, like me, right now, but she's well on her way to Master status. Well done, Julie.

The workshop speakers were great. My head is swimming with information which I must sort out tomorrow. I came home inspired to work on some old stories and start a few new ones. This is why I attend this state convention every year.

We may all be apprentices, but I think we can reach Master status with a great deal of hard work, patience, and persistence. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...