Friday, September 13, 2019

When Bad Times Arrive For Writers



Writers might get a blue ribbon for getting discouraged far more than some other people in this world. We ride a roller coaster with the ups and downs we traverse on our writing journey. 

We work hard on our stories, essays, article, and poems. That old cliche--blood, sweat, and tears--is not out of line when describing the writing life. Submit and wait. Submit and wait. Submit and wait some more. Finally, news comes, but it might not be what we were hoping for. 

It's then that today's poster would be quite appropriate. I have plenty of friends who would hug me, quite a good many who might give me chocolate, but I've yet to meet one that will soothe my ruffled feathers with a gift of 6 million dollars. If any of you have a friend who would do that, please do tell us about it in the comments section. 

Writers run the full course of good times and bad. What we need to do is push the bad times aside and dwell on the good. We've all got some good things to make us feel better when rejections flow back to us. 

We get down when a writing project goes from bad to worse. Nothing we do seems to make it work. It's best to walk away for a while. Let it simmer, let your mind renew itself.

What we need to do when a rejection arrives is to say something like OK, this stinks. But I was invited to speak at a Library Luncheon last week. People treated me like a celebrity. In other words, don't let the frustrating moments take over. Always keep positive things at the top. It takes a bit of practice, but you can do it. Like yesterday's poster said Yes you can!

Meanwhile, enjoy the hug, savor the chocolate and keep an eye out for that 6 million dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...