Thursday, September 5, 2019

Advice From Technology Tessie



Last night, I was answering a message on Messenger in my Facebook program when my browser started doing funny things and then it turned up blank with a photo of me in the center. What now? was my first thought. I could almost feel my blood pressure rising.

I fiddled around with this and that and had no luck. I turned my laptop off and decided to worry about it in the morning. The problem was that I started worrying about it as soon as I went to bed. Then, I woke up and worried some more at 2 a.m. Was it a virus? I have a good anti-virus program and malware program. Fell asleep finally, then woke up worrying at 5 a.m. That was the end of the night for me. I got up shortly after and finished reading a book, then the newspaper, breakfast, started laundry, showered and dressed. Anything to avoid turning on the computer. By then, I decided it was time to face up to the problem.

It turned out that I had been locked out of my google account. I haven't the slightest idea why it happened. Set a new password, got verification via my phone and I was back on board. Whew!

During one of those 'worry' periods overnight, I started thinking about how much we writers depend on our laptops, tablets, phones or whatever means we use to type our words, store our work in files, exchanges with fellow writers, email with writers and regarding writing. Face it, we are chained to these technology tools. 

We all hear constantly about the importance of backing up our files. We know it, but do we always take time to do it? I'm good about maybe three-fourths of the time. When I have a scare like last night, I chastise myself. Until this morning, I feared it was a virus wiping out more than I care to think about. I should have known better as nothing but google chrome was affected. Everything else worked fine. Being frightened and worrying does not always make for clear thinking. 

Some writers are also good technology people. I envy them. There are many others who, like me, have learned to handle a number of things but still don't feel 100% confident. I've been using a computer for 20 years, and I was self-taught. Learned through trial and error. Many errors! One of the best lessons I ever had came from one of my granddaughters. She was about 9 and had made something for a school project. I asked her where she learned to make the item. Her answer then is my motto now. Just google it, Grandma! Google is my search engine of choice, and it has served me well. There are many others, and you'd be wise to make good use of any one of them. 

Normally, when something goes wrong with my computer, I don't panic, but I had a lot of things on my agenda today that all involved using my laptop. Broke my own rule and worried all night long, which was foolish since it turned out to be an easy fix once I figured out what the problem was. 

In review, when something goes wrong with one of your technology tools:
  • Don't panic
  • Stay calm
  • Walk away and come back to figure it out later
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help
  • Ask yourself what it might or might not be; eliminate problems one by one
  • Be sure your anti-virus and malware programs are up to date and running
  • Use a search engine for help
  • Spend a little time (later) learning about your laptop, notebook or whatever tool you use
  • If something doesn't get done today, there's always tomorrow or the next day. The world will not end if you don't finish your tasks. 
More writing tips tomorrow when I give up the title of Technology Tessie to be Annie Advice once more. My heart rate is back to normal now that the issue has been taken care of, and I feel like Silly Sadie. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...