Sunday, August 4, 2019

Writers Must Promote Themselves

(NOTE:  I HAVE A VERY BUSY DAY MONDAY SO AM POSTING THIS SUNDAY EVENING)

I'm still wondering how August got here so fast this year. Or is it just that the months and years go faster as we grow older? Possibly. Maybe it is because we are busy people which makes the days feel shorter sometimes. Whatever it is, August is here, and we're well into the first full week of this eighth month of the year. 

I was reminded today of a problem that many writers have. Some of us take humility to the nth degree. Our replies to those who ask us about our writing can be far from the truth, but only because we are afraid to puff out our chest and say what we should and may want to. Too humble writers say things like I suck at writing fiction. (Actually said by a writer I know today) I write but others do it so much better than I. I've got a lot to learn. Oh, I do alright but nothing great. 

Instead, we should be heralding our own accomplishments. Writers should share all the positive things they can when talking to others about their writing. Let people know what your successes have been. They don't want to hear about the number of rejections you received. They want to know the number of publications you've had. Don't hang your head and say Aw shucks, I'm really not that good. 

There can be a fine line between boasting and sharing what you've done in the writing world. Perhaps, it's the manner in which you mention the positive things as to how others perceive you as a writer. We all know that we need to build a platform and brand ourself as a writer if we are going to continue to attract readers and have lots of pluses in our writing life. You don't do it by putting yourself down to others nor do you do it by being Boastful Betty. 

When we talk with an editor or publisher, we want to portray ourself as a confident, successful writer, one who is willing to work with editors to achieve the best writing possible. Start being negative and that editor is going to be turned off pretty quickly. 

In my profile on this blog, I mention being published in Chicken Soup for the Soul books 22 times. That's not bragging; it's letting you know what kind of writer I am. Yes, I'm proud of that accomplishment, but I'm not trying to lord it over other writers. I'm adding to my writing biography. It's an achievement, and it's been noted when I'm introduced as a workshop presenter or am giving a program to a group. It's part of who I am.

Your mother and mine taught us not to toot our own horn. Don't brag, that's what we were reminded of more than once. As a writer, you're not bragging, you're promoting yourself and your work. Do it with a smile on your face and your head held high.








4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the clarification, Nancy. Mennonites in my era eschewed pride like the plague, but book marketing requires promotion. You have demonstrated the fine line between bragging and presenting an accurate portrait of one's accomplishments. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider it 'promoting' yourself and your writing, not being too proud. :)

      Delete
  2. Nancy, congratulations on your many achievements! Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. I think you have a few of your own achievements to be proud of.

      Delete

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...