Wednesday, August 14, 2019

This Blog is Ten Years Old Today


Ten years ago today I wrote my first blog post. I knew next to nothing about the ins and outs of blogs, but they were becoming quite popular. So was branding and building a writer's platform. Not being one to be left behind, I decided to take the plunge. What did I have to lose? I could always quit if I didn't like it, never found any readers, or found it to be interfering with my writing time. 

I started looking at blog hosts, and there weren't many to be found, unlike today. I settled on Blogger for two reasons--it was free and also user-friendly. It took some time to get my very own blog set up, mostly because I was a newbie. Then, on August 14, 2009, I posted for the first time. This is what I wrote:

I'm starting a new adventure, becoming a blogger. At age 70, I'm not about to let the world pass me by. I intend for this blog to be concerned with the writing world and also my personal world, now and then. Maybe others can learn something here, find a subject that they can relate to, or just enjoy getting away for a short visit.

Writing For Anthologies:

Much of my writing ends up in anthologies like Chicken Soup for the Soul. I'm proud to claim a spot in nine of those as well as a couple of Guideposts anthologies and the Ultimate series. It takes patience to submit to these places, for speed is not their strong point. It can be months, even more than a year before there is a response from an editor. And those responses arrive only if a story makes the finals. That still doesn't guarantee publication. More waiting. More wondering. If the story makes the final cut, a congratulations notice and contract/permission release agreement is sent. If not, you never hear a word. That's the part I really, really hate. Hey, I can take rejection, so send me a message saying something like "So sorry, but your fine story didn't make the final cut." That way, I know and can move on. But please, please, please tell me!

A lot has happened in those ten years.  
  • I'm ten years older but still as passionate about writing as I was then.
  • Instead of 9 stories in the Chicken Soup books, I now have 22, as well as many other publications.
  • I post 5 days a week instead of the original 7. I decided everyone needs a little time off. 
  • I now invite an occasional guest blogger. (one coming up this Friday)
  • I added photos and poster quotes to the top of the page. 
  • I've gained more readers over these ten years.
  • I've made new friends in the writing world.
  • I've practiced writing every day of the workweek right here on the blog.
  • I've posted 2, 521 times which boggles my mind.
  • I've helped other writers which is most satisfying to me.
  • I've been asked to be a guest blogger on other blogs.
  • I've continued to learn more about the writing world and the craft of writing.
I couldn't finish today's post without saying thank you to my readers and those who have graciously written posts as a guest blogger. What started as an experiment has become a very fond habit. 


6 comments:

  1. WOW! I can't believe it. Seems like a day or two ago. Lots of wonderful information has been shared over the years. I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten years goes by in a flash! I've loved writing this blog. Thanks for the nice comment.

      Delete
  2. Aside from developing my writing skills, my blog has connected me to people around the world, with fantastic connections I never imagined. Plaudits to you for persisting, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marian. I agree with you about making connections around the world through blogging.

      Delete
  3. Ten years of making a difference for others! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...