Thursday, August 1, 2019

My Hope For Writers This August




Summer seems to be slipping by awfully fast. I can't believe it is time to turn our calendar pages to the new month.

I liked this poster because it expresses something positive. I really do wish that something good happens for you this month, most especially in your writing world.

Maybe you'll get an acceptance from an editor. I saw a brand new writer on Facebook yesterday who said that she had made her first submission. It had been a month and she had checked the status. It said "in review' and she was quite excited. Her question to the writing group where she posted was how much longer she might have to wait to hear from the magazine. The advice in the comments below her post all gave her the same advice. Stop just waiting to see what happens for that first submission. Keep writing and keep submitting. I couldn't have said it better myself!

I've often mentioned the Submission Ferris Wheel. You need to submit your work on a regular basis if you have hopes of being published. Don't ever submit one piece, then sit back and wait to hear the result. You could grow old waiting as some editors don't respond if they don't want to publish what you sent. Chicken Soup for the Soul is one who notifies you only if your story is on the shortlist and then only if it makes the final cut. As much as I love the Chicken Soup for the Soul group, that is my one and only complaint. If my story didn't make it, I'd much rather know than wait. I have learned after a good many years that they usually publish a book about two months after the deadline for submissions. So, if two months have passed and you've not heard, you can consider it a No.

Almost every writing book ever published will tell you to start writing another story or article immediately after submitting an earlier one. Eventually, you'll know whether it's a go or not. Either way, you'll have something new to submit somewhere else IF you have kept on writing.

I hope those of you who have books published will have a big increase in sales this month of August. People are still looking for something to take on vacation or to while away the summer evenings on the porch.

May lots of story ideas pop into your head this month and I hope that maybe that trouble spot in the essay you've been working on will get resolved. My wish is that you will have a good conversation with another writer and that you'll get a critique with lots of complimentary comments from your writing group.

In short, I do want something good for all of you this month.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...