Monday, July 29, 2019

Write About The Sad Times and The Bad Times



As many of you know, one of my great passions in life is urging people to write their family stories. I've written about the topic, given programs and add to my own family stories on a regular basis. 

We write them so that our children, grandchildren and those that come after will know something of their family history, of the times during which we grew up and more. We write about the humorous happenings, the relatives that were a wee bit eccentric, the joys and the sorrows. 

It's those sorrows I'd like to address today. It's a rare family that hasn't had its share of that and maybe even tragedy. Many people who write their family stories think they shouldn't mention the dark parts of the family history. I firmly believe those stories should be included in your Family Stories book. 

Right or wrong, hurtful or infuriating--whatever happened is a part of your family history. You owe it to your family members to write about it and perhaps explain. Isn't that better than having false bits floating through the generations? We should bear no shame or guilt about anyone in our family. 

What kinds of things am I talking about? This list names only a few:
  • someone sent to prison
  • a child constantly expelled from school
  • a murder
  • the loss of a child (or children)
  • a tragic accident
  • teen-age pregnancy in a time when it was considered shameful
  • a runaway child
  • someone with a handicap
  • a major financial loss
  • addiction
Did you have an uncle who made you uncomfortable? Was there an aunt who was mean to you when your mother wasn't looking? Did you have a cousin who threatened you? These people were still part of your extended family. Maybe it was a sibling who didn't measure up to family standards. You can write about those people and how they made you feel. Besides being a part of the family history, writing about whatever happened can be a release and a help to you. 

Look at all the memoirs published today that address problems in families? Many are bestsellers. I'm not suggesting you publish all the unhappy events in your family stories. They are different because you are writing them for the people in your family now and those who will come later, not for the general public to read. Some prefer to wait until the person they are writing about has passed on so there will be no hurt feelings or confrontation.

We tend to shy away from the bad things that happen in a family. Stories that are sometimes only whispered. It's alright to talk about them, to write about those people or what occurred. The bad things, the sad things are all a part of our family history. Nothing says we have to like it but don't try to hide whatever happened.

My father often told us about how his father died in his arms having a heart attack on the driveway of their home. His dad was only 52, and he was a mere 14. Tragic, sad and allowing us to know some medical history in our family. My mother had an uncle who was an alcoholic, couldn't hold a job and lost his family because of it. It helped us understand why my grandmother, his sister, was vehemently against alcohol.

So, write about the happy times, the joyous ones and the interesting but also write about the difficult people or events in your family. As the quote above says, Family is a gift that lasts forever, and that includes the good and the not so good. This is, of course, your choice to include or not in your family stories.


3 comments:

  1. Well, Nancy, it looks like I'm the winner of the "Writing about Family Bad times and Sad times" award! I went down your list above and checked off all that pertained to me and my family. Let's run down the list...

    My ex-husband went to prison for being the third-largest drug dealer in northern California, I got kicked out of school at least 3 times a month for beating up the bullies, all signs point to my mother murdering my father by poisoning his dinner one night, my best friend was killed in a tragic accident with my daughter in his car, I intentionally got pregnant at 16 so I could get away from my abusive family, I ran away from home to get away from my abusive mother at 20-months-old, had deformed legs as a small child and had to wear leg braces, suffered several major financial losses in my adult life, and my younger brother became a drug addict.

    Growing up, I endured 16 years of harrowing physical, mental, and psychological abuse from a family who decided I had no worth and were determined to "break my spirit" before I escaped at 16, pregnant with nothing.

    My autobiography, GUIDED, details my extraordinary life growing up being raised by my spirit guide family instead of the one I was born into. GUIDED was selected WINNER! of the Int'l Body-Mind-Spirit Book Award and has been an Amazon bestseller since the day it was released 5 years ago.

    I enjoy your blog and tips for writers very much. You are a true teacher... Linda Deir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have just read the summary of your book at Amazon. Yours sounds like a heart-wrenching, yet inspirational, story. My post was about writing short pieces for a Family Stories book, but your story is a full book about sad and bad things, yet hope and triumph in the end. What a blessing for you.

      Delete
  2. We all come from a Spirit Family - the one we have been part of for eons. They help us plan each incarnation to this life along with who are parents and sibling will be. I guess I picked a life loaded up-front with Karmic lessons. I refer to it as my karmic "boot camp."

    I kept my connection to my Spirit Family a secret and told nobody until I was 62 and wrote GUIDED. Most people are reluctant to share any details of the spiritual path they are on with family and friends because of the judgment involved. It's best to keep you guidance to yourself.

    Nobody who knew me professionally throughout my adult life ever knew I had this connection. They assumed that I was just lucky, had incredible energy levels, and made things look easy. Most who have known me for decades were shocked to learn about the life I endured.

    I distanced myself from my family 30 years ago. It was the only way I could survive and triumph in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...