Thursday, July 25, 2019

The Right Way or The Wrong Way To Write


This poster and quote made me laugh. Wouldn't we all like to have the results in the woman's innovative way to find out her weight?

How about our writing world? Is there a right and wrong way to write? Are there hard and fast rules? There are definitely a lot of Do's and Don'ts to this craft, but I don't think there is any one right way or a specifically wrong way to get to the goals writers set. 

What is right for one writer could very well be wrong to another. Take the time you write, for instance. Books on writing often suggest you get up an hour earlier than necessary and use that hour to write. The house is probably quiet, your mind is fresh, so why not? I'll tell you why some people could never do it.  There are those who need more sleep than others or ones who are groggy for the first hour they are out of bed and on two feet. Even with a mug of strong coffee at their side. It's not right or wrong; it's the way it is. Conversely, if you try to stay up an extra hour and call that your writing time, you may or may not be successful. The night owls among us will find it the perfect time to write, while those who like to head to bed earlier than most would discover that their mind might be a bit too fuzzy if they extended their bedtime. No right or wrong. We each choose what works best for us.

What about submitting your work for publication? You can send out your writing one at a time, weeks apart perhaps. Or you could have a Submission Celebration Day and send a dozen pieces to editors in one day. Is one right and the other wrong? Of course not. Do what works best for you.

Some authors write the ending of a short story first, then fill in the rest. Others start at the beginning and move methodically on to the middle and end. I suppose there are even writers who have this wonderful scene in mind that should appear in the middle of the story, so they write it, then add a beginning and an end. Wrong or right? There is no wrong or right here. Again, do what works best for you. 

This brings me to books that teach us about the writing world. The writer who wrote the book is going to tell you what works for him/her. Yes, many are going to repeat the same advice--a lot of it. When I read the same basic advice over and over, I feel like I'd better pay attention. But, if a writer offers unusual advice, something that you've never encountered before, step back and give it some extra thought. It may work for that writer but not for everyone. Still, it is not wrong. It's his/her opinion. You might try it and find out that it is like Baby Bear's discovery in the Goldilock's and The Three Bears story. It's just right. 

Writers have to sift and sort the advice from writing books, writing newsletters, blogs and conference speakers. Find out what is right for you and what might be the wrong way for you to conduct your writing life. Then do what works, what feels comfortable. It might take some trial and error along the way, but you'll reach a place where you know what's best for you.



2 comments:

  1. An excellent read, Nancy! Thanks for your writing tips here.
    I, too, have written a book about refugees, and it has sold, to date, nearly 500 copies on Amazon. Of course, I had to advertise, so before I even started writing, I listed all the possible markets in my genre.
    After the book was published, I sent the potential markets an email about my book. I, also, sent news releases to newspapers in the area where I lived and where my book's story took place.
    Thanks again for your wise advice, Nancy!
    Incidentally, I see that you are from Manhattan, Kansas. I am from McPherson. Several years ago, I earned my doctoral degree, the Ed.D., at Kansas State University in Manhattan.
    I had wonderful professors there and sent them greetings every holiday season. Sadly, I always knew when they had passed on because they didn't send one back. Dr. Donald Stewart, a nationally known rhetorician, was my advisor.
    Dr. Jeanne Jacoby Smith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne, for writing. I enjoyed your comment and learning that you are a fellow Kansan and know a lot about Manhattan, where I live. You didn't give the name of the book, however. Are you a member of KS Authors Club, our state organization for writers? They are sponsoring a wonderful convention the first weekend in August in Wichita. Some excellent speakers for the workshops and keynote address. I will be on a blogging panel there, as well.

      Delete

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...