Friday, June 28, 2019

Bits and Pieces for Writers

A Sign of Summer


I have several bits and pieces to pass on to you today. Some have been on my mind for a while and some just popped in this morning. Most are not worthy of a full post but could be of interest to readers. So, on to the things flitting through my mind like lovely little butterflies.

  1.  I recently subscribed to a monthly newsletter called Publishing and Other Forms of Insanity. The newsletter is chock full of calls for submissions and contests as well as articles on the writing craft. And I do mean 'chock full.' Take a look at this month's issue and see if it appeals to you enough to subscribe. I have to admit that there are times I can't find time to digest every bit of it. Read the June issue here.
  2. The Write Spot by Marlene Cullen offers regular writing prompts. Her prompts are not mundane by any means. She offers inspiring, mind-triggering writing prompts on a regular basis. Her website offers other sections that would be appealing to a writer. You know that I am a big proponent of doing writing exercises. Even a five-minute exercise each morning will be of benefit to you. That old adage practice makes perfect seems to fit here.
  3. If you have an interest in writing for children, the ICL(Institute of Children's Literature) Newsletter is filled with tips and places to submit to, contests and more. I have found many of the articles pertain to writing for all levels, kids, and adults. And do remember that the writing for children world is a big one. Consider that we're talking about infants who are read to, toddlers, grade school kids, teens and Young Adults. That's a wide range with myriad possibilities. Every so often, the newsletter lists a number of articles about writing. Many of these are all-encompassing, not just for children's writers. If you sign up and decide it's not for you, unsubscribe. Sign up here.
  4. Feather  So, what in the world is this about? It's not the name of a book or magazine. Not the name of a club for writers. No. But it is a word that has been playing leapfrog in my head. Why? I have no sure answer, but I feel like it is leading me to write something new. But what? Story? Poem? Children's story? Memoir piece? At this point, I haven't a clue. Even so, I know that more will evolve from this one little word I keep seeing in my mind. Am I the only one this happens to? Or do some of you experience something like this? 
  5. Photo Journal. I have a writer friend who is also a photographer and a blogger. Annette Gendler is also a world traveler, and she shares her photo journals with her readers. Check out one of them here. You don't have to travel to a foreign country to try this on your own. You could go to the town ten miles away and create one that would interest others. There is no absolutely set way to do this type of writing, and you need not be a professional photographer either. With our phones taking good pictures, we can all claim to be 'photographers,' even if of different levels. Check a search engine for tips on making your own photo journal. With summer travels, this is an appealing type of writing. You want to do more than label a photo, however. Make the writing as interesting as the picture.
I hope these bits and pieces have given you food for thought, some places to check over the weekend, and a wee bit of inspiration as we finish this month of June and get ready for July.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent tidbits and now I'm mystified by the feather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'feather' has worked its way into the beginning of a poem. Now, if only the rest of it would drop happily into my waiting arms!

      Delete

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...