Tuesday, May 14, 2019

When Your Writing Is Rejected

Yes or No? What will she say? Or is it, what will he say?

Yesterday, my Guest Blogger, Molly Flowers, gave a case for rejection. She had a viewpoint that many writers may not have considered before. Lots of food for thought. If you didn't have an opportunity to read it, check it out here.

The silhouette image above shows a man and woman, one of whom may have to deal with rejection. It's difficult to determine which one is the rejector and which the rejectee! It doesn't matter because rejection still hurts, no matter who is the recipient. These two people are not writer and editor, but most likely a couple about to break up. Haven't most of us been there at some time in our life? Were you the one to who hurt the other one, or were you the person who got hurt? If you've lived a few decades, you might have been on both sides at different moments. Maybe you wondered if you'd even live through the situation. You began to doubt yourself as a person. You didn't want to try for another relationship. Not ever again! 

Guess what? A writer who receives a rejection after submitting his/her work has many of the same emotions. Thoughts run through your mind, one tumbling over another. Things like:  That stupid editor doesn't know a good thing when he sees it. I'll never submit another piece. Not ever! Who needs to be hurt like that? I must be the world's worst writer. What's wrong with me? We all go through it. Get the thoughts out and then move on.

Once you're over the pity party (oh yes, we all hold a little pity party right after the rejection comes), ask yourself some questions. 
  • Did I pick the wrong market?
  • Did I follow the submission guidelines carefully?
  • Did I send a clean, edited copy?
  • Did I proof and edit more than once?
  • Was my opening one that grabbed the reader?
  • Did I have more telling or more showing?
  • Did I use lots of active verbs?
  • Did I have a beginning, middle and ending? Or was it a jumble?
  • Did I over-emote?
  • Did I use similes and metaphors to bring my story to life? 
  • Did I spend enough time looking for a market to submit to? 
  • Did I use sensory details to make the story realistic?
  • Do I need to scrap this piece or revise and submit again?
  • This is an important one:  Is it possible the piece I sent is just fine but the publication couldn't use it anytime soon? That they may have published something in the same vein in recent weeks?  
When you answer the questions above, try to be objective. Attempt reading that submission as if someone else had written it. How would you critique it? 

I wouldn't suggest answering the questions above immediately after receiving the rejection. Give it a couple days before you tackle it. 

Submit the revised piece to another publication when you feel you're ready. We all know stories about very successful writers who submitted a zillion times before finding that success. So, what makes us think we're going to hit the jackpot the first time out? It can happen, but it's nor the norm. 

There's a reason I stay with my two keywords, which are patience and perseverance.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...