Monday, April 29, 2019

Writers and Longevity



After critiquing an article for one of my fellow writers at my online writing group this morning, I started thinking about longevity in our writing world. I wondered how long writers persist. Do they make a length of journey commitment? Several other thoughts regarding longevity flitted through my Monday morning mind, so I decided to share some with you today.

Longevity in commitment

When you began your writing journey, did you make a commitment? Maybe you said I'll try this for 2 years, then rethink it. It's possible that you never considered a time frame for your writing world. I didn't. When I started writing, I meant to be in for the long haul, and I'm willing to wager that a good many of you did, as well. 

If a writer takes the stance that he/she will give writing a try for 2 years, I think he/she does a disservice to him/herself. Why? Very few writers can claim to be a success in such a short time. In two years, I was still a rank beginner. As the years slid by, and I continued to write, I also learned a great deal. I became a better writer, as well. 

Is there a time when we should stop writing? I hope to continue writing til the end. There are, of course, things to keep in mind. Is the desire to write still strong? Am I able to continue physically and mentally? Has my writing become weaker, uninteresting, or muddled? Will I know if I should quit, or will someone else have to tell me the bad news? 

Longevity in writing groups

I have belonged to 4 writing groups during my writing time. One of them has lasted twenty years, while the others did not come close to that number. Why? I loved Group 1 but we moved out of state after only 3 years. Group 2 proved to be not helpful to me as a writer. The members wanted to talk about writing and not much more. Group 3 was an online group. It was good, but the moderator disbanded the group with little warning or reasons given. Group 4 was an off-shoot of that one. It's the one celebrating the 20th anniversary. It's the one that has given me the most help, terrific writer friends, knowledge about writing and more. I hope it will continue to be the vibrant group it is as the years go by. 

Many writers have most likely tried a number of different writing groups. Hopefully, they found some longevity in a few.

Longevity in learning about writing

How long should you study your craft? Until you feel like you're being published often enough to feel satisfied? Until you think you know it all? Until you're bored by the learning and want to do nothing but write? My answer is that you should continue to learn about writing as long as you are a writer. Never stop learning. You can continue your education about the writing game through reading books on the subject. Believe me, there are more than you could ever hope to read, so finding them should be no problem. Stay in writing groups that help you learn. Continue membership in writing organizations at the local, state or national level. Socialize with other writers. It's amazing what you can learn as you chat over a cup of coffee or a glass of beer. 

Do a bit of pondering on longevity in your own writing journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...