Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Solitary Or Social--Which Writer Are You?

Writing Group


Someone once said to me that she wondered why I was a writer because it is such a solitary activity and I'm a very social person. She was right on both counts, but writers don't have to nail boards across doorways to keep them chained to their desk writing. 

Even though I do thrive in social activities, I also love having time all to myself to write. As in most things, we need to find a balance between the two. It's one reason I urge writers to join some kind of writing group. It can be for critiquing one another's work, or a state/national organization for writers. 

Sunday, I attended the quarterly meeting of the district meeting of the state organization I have belonged to for almost twenty years. There were only five of us that gathered to have a short business meeting, a presentation by a member about journaling for writers, and a read-around of writing by the individual members. 

It was great because...
I got to mingle with fellow writers
  • I was able to hear a presentation that will benefit me later
  • I enjoyed listening to the writing of the other members
  • I met someone new and learned about the books he's written
  • I felt excitement among the group
  • I went home feeling inspired
Sitting alone in front of my computer is not going to give me those benefits. Will I get something writing by myself? Of course, I will. I know, however, that I'm going to find good reason to write on my own and spend time in a group of writers, as well.

Critique groups offer a lot to writers. They can...
  • help a writer smooth out rough spots in their work in progress
  • commiserate with a writer when he/she had received rejections
  • rejoice with a writer when he/she reports a success
  • see problem areas in our writing that we, the writer, never notice
  • make suggestions to add or take away something in our writing
  • share markets
  • relate their own rejection or success stories
  • inspire you as a writer
  • give you a social outlet connected to your writing
Finding a group of writers to join takes a little work on your part. I found a critique group and my state writers organization through my library. The librarian I talked to went the extra mile to help me in my quest. Use social media. Ask on facebook or twitter, or whatever you frequent, about writing groups in your area. Ask another writer. Most likely you know at least one in your town. Once, I might have suggested putting an ad in your local newspaper, but I don't think people read the want ads today like they once did. Thank you, social media! 

Spend time writing on your own but also seek the company of other writers on a regular basis. Both will bring benefits.

4 comments:

  1. The socializing helps a solitary writer feel a little less lonely. One of my favorite activities now is the weekly "write in" where a group of us spends the afternoon working together. It's usually very quiet as we are all working on different projects, and it's a good way to give yourself some variety in scenery while staying on task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a different kind of writing group, and an interesting one. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Writing groups are about people, trust, confidence, helping others, and practice. I think most writing groups are widely successful but I've also seen them fail. That would be another story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every writer's group is a success. It takes cooperation of all who are in it.

      Delete

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...