Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Is There A Right Way To Write?



Not all writers approach a new writing project in the same way. When writing fiction or creative nonfiction, we can separate writers into two main groups. 

Those who outline and know exactly what their story will be. They are guided by the outline and seldom stray from it.

The other group, commonly known as 'pantsters' are writers who have an idea and perhaps a few thoughts about where the story will go but they plunge right in writing and let the story lead them. They write 'by the seat of their pants' which is a pretty strange phrase in itself. Pansters is, of course, the shortened version.

Which is the better way to write? There is no right or wrong here. You write in whatever way makes you comfortable, whatever method works for you. Do the outliners never stray from the plan? I'm sure some do occasionally. It would seem especially prudent to do so if the story is not working out very well. No method is set in cement. The writer is free to change anything and everything.

What about those pansters? That includes me, by the way. I have an idea, write an opening sentence and let it carry me onward. There are times that my original intention changes drastically. Other times, I have no idea where I'm headed. I let the story carry me through. 

Case in point:  I have written a middle-grade novel about a boy who lives in the late 19th century. He comes from a family of coal miners but he has no interest in becoming a miner. He excels at school, loves learning, but family circumstances push him away from school and into the mines when he is not quite 12 years old. He has two best friends, a stern grandmother, a weak father and a brother who are both miners. He also knows a boy in the mine who makes his life miserable. I knew that I wanted Will to get out of that mine and back to school. When I started writing, I had no idea how that would happen. 

I jumped right in and before long, the characters led me on to the next chapter. I didn't know that a gypsy woman would figure prominently in the story until Will sees her. I had no idea that Will's great-uncle from England would show up in their small Iowa town. I hadn't planned on an accident in the mine nor the result. Will and his best friend, Emily, showed me the way. Some would think that a made-up situation. I assure you it that is not made up. Characters leading the way does happen. There are many writers who would confirm that statement. 

Beatrix Potter's quote rings true. There is something exciting about writing the first words of a story, even for the outliners who know where they are heading. For the pansters, it's delightful to start out on the journey and feel your way, listen to your characters and dive right in. 



6 comments:

  1. I love this post! I'm a panster with a lot of ideas and a lot of plans but I'm ready to listen to my characters. They tend to visit with me when I'm trying to get to sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very Nice Blog .I Have Read Your Post It Is Very Informative And Useful Thanks For Posting And Sharing With Us And Your Writing Style Is Very Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice comment. It is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I am definitely a panster, both in my fiction and my nonfiction writing. Allowing inspiration to lead has served me well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, writing as a panster allows for more creativity. I loved your phrase--'Allowing inspiration to lead...'

    ReplyDelete

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...