Wednesday, November 21, 2018

You Should Write A Book!



DUE TO THANKSGIVING TRAVEL AND CELEBRATION NEXT POST WILL BE MONDAY.


We were having dinner this evening with a group of people who have known one another for a long time. One of the women was the secretary to the Kansas State football coach from many years ago to just recently when she retired. She has served a number of football coaches and been a 'grandmother' to a great many young football players. A large number keep in touch with her after they graduate. We were reminiscing about some of the coaches she'd worked for when one man said, "You know what? You should write a book. I guarantee it would be a best seller." She just grinned. I piped up and said that I could help her, and she grinned a bit more but said nothing. Her eyes, however, were sparkling. I know she liked the idea but perhaps it all seemed overwhelming for a woman in her mid-80's. 

There are a lot of people who should write a book. Maybe some of the memoirists we have read started out that way. Perhaps someone told them "You should write a book." Some of them have done it, have published their book, and became public speakers when they needed to promote their memoir. 

What about novelists? Maybe one of them was always making up stories as a child and kept on doing it as a teen until someone said: "You should write a book."  And so they did. 

Just this past few weeks one of my close friends and her family had an experience that made me think they should write a book. It involves a needed kidney transplant, a surprise donor and a successful surgery. 

We see books published by celebrities all the time. Did someone say to them "You should write a book?" My next thought is wondering whether they actually wrote it or had a ghostwriter pen the book that is probably a success because of the name recognition. Look at all the people in the political world who have written books in maybe the past 10 or 12 years. Did they decide on their own or maybe someone across a lunch table in a restaurant said: "You should write a book."  The same with the sports world celebrities whose stories are of interest to others. Again, whether they write the book themselves or have a ghostwriter is immaterial. The sports personality had to provide the material that would make up the book.

Sure, lots of novelists, memoirists and nonfiction writers write books without anyone urging them. It's all their own idea from start to finish. Even so,  I have a feeling that there are more than a few books written because of someone saying: "You should write a book."

How about you? Have you ever said that to anyone? Has the question been directed to you from another person? If so, how did you react? If someone said it to me, I'd feel flattered but I'd have to take some time to ponder the possibility. 

Consider me saying to you "You should write a book." How would you react? Would you give it serious consideration because someone else thought enough of you to pose the statement? 



4 comments:

  1. I had a friend with a blog whose family was prodding her to write a book. She asked what I thought, so I published a short blog series about writing a book. I hated to tell her that she didn't have enough material to even start a book. She had fewer than 100 posts of fewer than 250 words on about 7 different topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story proves that someone saying "You should write a book." doesn't mean it is always a good idea!

      Delete
  2. I can't remember anyone ever telling me, "You should write a book!" But I wrote a book. Yes, I've had people tell me that others have said they should write a book. Maybe I should have been more encouraging to them. I've always believed that if a person doesn't have the drive to even start, or to at least seek out help, then I don't have a lot of confidence in them being able to have the endurance to complete the task. I've also had people tell me they have a great idea for a book and then I learn they want me to write their book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last sentence here made me laugh. Maybe, though, you should consider their request a compliment to your abilities. :)

      Delete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...